MS Select Plus MAK Question

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by tripflex, Apr 4, 2013.

1. tripflex

tripflex MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2011
    So i'm looking to install Win8 on a laptop we're going to purchase, and i'm wondering if I even need to purchase it with the laptop as I was given access to our Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center awhile ago and just now got to take a minute and go through it.

Under my companies account it shows both a KMS and MAK key, and next to the MAK it says "Activations 1/500"

We have a Select Plus agreement with Microsoft and I was wondering if that means we have 500 activation available based off our agreement with Microsoft? Will the company be charged if we use the MAK key or is that saying we have 500 available activation that the company has already purchased?

I tried calling Microsoft to get an answer but of course they gave me the run around and didn't directly answer my question, was hoping someone on here would know enough about this to help me out. Don't want to start activating licenses if the company is going to get hit with thousands of dollars of licensing fees, but if we already have that available I would like to use them as some of the older ones such as Office 2003, 2007, have 0/500 and I have a couple employee laptops that could use an upgrade from 2003 to 2007.

Thanks for any help and sorry if I put this in the wrong section.

2. tripflex

tripflex MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2011
    Found the answer to my question on IRC, basically the MAK activation amount does not account for licensing and that has to be purchased separately the MAK count is just that, what is available to activate, MS relies on you to purchase the license as needed.