MSE Doesn't automatically update definitions?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ian82, Jul 2, 2013.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Doesn't the crappy Microsoft Security Essentials automatically update the definitions or what? I was at a friend's PC and every few hours he would get a definitions update for MSE through Windows updates!

so it doesn't automatically and silently update the definitions you have to actually do it through Windows updates?

God this is one piece of crap

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    MSE checks for updates once per every 24 hours. If your PC is off or asleep when that scheduled check is due to happen, it won't happen.

You can schedule a daily quick scan and enable the option to check for updates before a scan and that may take care of it?

3. Weedy

Weedy MDL Member

Mar 9, 2011
    MSE updates are handled by windows update. If the PC is not set to automatically update, then no, it won't do it silently. It's a Microsoft Antivirus on a Microsoft Operating system... What did you expect when you selected against Automatic Updates?

4. ultimate_live

ultimate_live MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2011
    Yes, MSEt automatically updates. But 2 times a day I check manually for updates.
    On Windows 7 and MSE installed, you can configure by registry how many times MSE will check for updates.
    But with MSE on Windows 8 this option doesn´t exist anymore.

5. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Yes it does automatically update. When it is suppose to I don't know. I just checked mine and it had updated this morning a 6:20 AM. So I thought I would try a manual update just for the heck of it. I got a new update 2 hours later a 8:30 AM. Seems they are always coming out with new updates. This is probably why your seeing MSE updates through windows update. You will get the new one your seeing the next time MSE updates itself.

6. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    This sounds interesting. Care to share that??