MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials ver 2 beta also for Win Server 2008 (R2)

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by myhken, Sep 23, 2010.

1. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
  2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I used this Beta version for a few days but it was giving me a lot of splash screens on startups. Had to roll back.
    Anyway, MSE is a competent AV and I use it alongwith Malware. That is it. MSE also has definition updates which can be downloaded offline and just installed. So one can start off with the latest definitions. A lot of AVs do not have this feature.
    What about Forefront. Is it client (win 7) or server based.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    Strange that you gets splash screen on startup. I use MSE one several computers now, and do not get any splash screen, and I do not see that MSE starts. The only time I see MSE is when it's find a virus/spyware/adware...

I think Forefront is a centralized AV, you need it to run on a server on your network, but I'm not 100% sure, have not tried it yet.

4. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    This beta breaks iTunes syncing with any iDevice... you need to turn off "network protection" to make it work again... had this issue for months (since start of beta), figured what caused it just recently.

5. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I'm haven't installed it myself, but how is the performance? Does it use a lot of resources?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    Not at all, that the good thing about MSE.