MSE update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dolorous Edd, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #1 Dolorous Edd, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    MSE update options are pretty sparse, I wanted my MSE to update at every startup and while looking around I found this.

Code:
    ping -n 11 127.0.0.1 >NUL
    cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials
    start /min MpCmdRun.exe -scan -scantype 1

Just make a batch file and put a shortcut in your start-up folder. The ping command is to force a delay of ten seconds (to allow internet connection to be established for wifi users) Remove it if you so choose but if you have update problem after removing it put it back.

When you start-up you will see a dos box popup then minimize and after about 30 seconds it will disappear.

There is an MSE update utility but I had problems with it working only sporadically.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Brandrune

Brandrune MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Thanks for this.

3. santoshcoolhere

santoshcoolhere MDL Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Thank You...............:)

4. techtype

techtype MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2007
    #4 techtype, Nov 27, 2009
    I think it should be more like this:

Code:
    @echo off
    ping -n 20 127.0.0.1 >NUL
    cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials
    start /min MpCmdRun.exe -SignatureUpdate

5. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    #5 Dolorous Edd, Nov 28, 2009
    (OP)
    That will work also. One thing I forgot is to check the box by update before scan on the settings> Scheduled scans tab. @echo off isn't needed if you use start /min

The biggest difference is that MpCmdRun.exe -scan -scantype 1 command is supposed to do an update then a quick scan. the -signatureupdate switch just updates the definitions but it minimizes faster and terminates immediately after updating. So, you can choose to to a quick update or an update and a scan, just change the scan type if you want to do a more in-depth scan.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. searchengine

searchengine Guest

If you called your cmd file say mse.cmd and then made a 7zip exe installer using this switch:-

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
    GUIMode="2"
    RunProgram="hidcon:mse.cmd"
    ;!@InstallEnd@!

and make a shortcut to your startup folder from the exe you made, then the command would be ran at every startup silently without any 30 second black dos box.

7. Kikoo

Kikoo MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #8 Kikoo, Nov 28, 2009
    You could just make it into a shortcut, no need for a batch file:
    Code:
    cmd.exe /C title MPE Update&"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Security Essentials\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate&echo Done.&pause