MSE wont install on validated windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by misteromar, Oct 13, 2010.

1. misteromar

misteromar MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2009
  2. misteromar

misteromar MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2009
    #3 misteromar, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    (OP)
    Thanks Venu

Apperently there is a bug in MSE, what I did is run windows installer cleanup utility, ccleaner etc then used a old installer of MSE, then just updated it through windows update. Seemed to work.

Edit,

I spoke too soon, I did a reboot and problem with MSE returned.

3. misteromar

misteromar MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2009
    I tried both older versions of MSE client and they both pass activation. Its only the newest one that doesn't pass.

I dunno if its bug in the latest client or what. If windows itself is happy, passing genuine test online I dont see why MSE wont. My only guess is that if you have failed a activation test at anytime MSE picks up on this and wont run.

Attached Files:

4. dotkite

dotkite MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2010
    I tried to do what you said venu, but the installer on Microsoft site isn't up to date and will ask you to update like misteromar said.

So I guess right now there's nothing we can do about it ?

5. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Looks like a bug guys, lemme see if I can dig up something on this.

6. watchmanbr

watchmanbr MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2008
    As of today, this is happening to me, too. I think it's related to the last SE update: KB2267610

7. TheSlimOne

TheSlimOne MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2010
    It got my desktop. I managed to stop the two laptops from updating. So I am good....for now.

8. misteromar

misteromar MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2009
    I got this reply from MSE support people, I havent tried it myself, I started using Avira for now. (step one was just making sure no other anti virus is installed.)

Step 2:

To tackle the lack of Administrator's permissions to certain files in the Desktop and Programs folder

Click Start > All programs > Accessories > Right click on "Command prompt" and select "Run as administrator".
    You will get Command prompt window.

3. Copy each command separately, Right click on the command prompt, select the option "paste" and then press enter.

4. When asked to confirm press Y and hit enter:

cacls "C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop"/t /g everyone:f

cacls "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"/t /g everyone:f

Note: To copy the above commands select the entire command using mouse pointer. 'Right click' and choose 'copy' before performing this step.

5. Type"Exit" to close command prompt.

Step 3:

1. Provide full permission to Data.dat using Network service command

2. Please copy and paste the below command in Command prompt and click enter.

cacls "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data\data.dat" /E /G "NetworkService":F