MSI ATI HD4870 problem... Help please.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by rookiejas, Dec 9, 2008.

1. rookiejas

rookiejas MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2008
    Hey all

I just got my new comp.
    Stats:
    Intel i7 920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4
    Xigamatek 750w psu
    2gb gskill memory
    1tb wd green hdd
    MSI ATI HD4870 1gb

So I installed Vista Ultimate 64x on it for the 1st day and was going great. Second day I activated windows using WOW5. I restarted it once and it was still working. Then I went out for a good night with my friends, so I turned the machine off. When I got back home it wouldn't display anything, tried to clear cmos, reinstalled the gfx card to make sure it wasn't loose, used the other psu pci-e modules, used both power connectors.

I have tried an old gfx cards (nvidia 6600 (i think)) and it works, it doesn't need power. Will try my 8800gt in it after I try another psu.

My dad (great guy :p), whom fixes computers has a feeling it could be my psu, so he is bringing a 550w one home tonight, will test and get back to you on this one.

I also took it back to the people i got it from (Umart Online). They tested it on a older machine, but they managed to get the gfx card working in the other machine (note: i only took my gfx card in). As usual the techie thought i was a complete nub and told me i need power power cables in (which i did).

Anyone else got any ideas? I really dun wanna have to revert back to my 8800gt which has a few heating issues.

If you really need a picture of my setup to confirm I have it up correct i can upload a few pics.

2. rookiejas

rookiejas MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2008
    #2 rookiejas, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
    (OP)
    Ok here is a update, adleast i got a display now.

So I tried a different power supply and the 8800gt and it worked. I was really gettings angry now. So I took my PC to my friends place and tested it there. Got there and it worked prity much straight away. This was getting weird.

The problem appears to be with the dvi to dvi between my comp and screen. I can use an adapter to get d-sub connection loaded, i can also use an adapter to get dvi to hdmi to display a screen.

anyone got any ideas of why dvi to dvi ain't working? dvi to dvi on my laptop to screen works fine.