MSI Center laptop battery setting question

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by Windows 10 User, May 11, 2023.

1. #21 Deleted member 578156, May 14, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2023
    I said believing for a reason because i believe to be true not because i always have hard facts!, like you basically said that not in the same words but that all makes and brands can be different according to there brand right. I'm a little touchy, SORRY! don't mean to be but I'm here to help not have my words specially BELIEVING to be pointed out to me when I'm trying to help. When you speak it's matter of delivery. I also recognize that your also trying to help. Kudo's to you.

2. Windows 10 User

Windows 10 User MDL Expert

Feb 2, 2017
    Because according to MSI Center, it's the best setting to preserve the battery.

3. Exactly!

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #24 kaljukass, May 15, 2023
    Last edited: May 15, 2023
    Oh, don't worry, your laptop battery will never drain to zero, not even when the AC adapter is not connected. Never.
    And if it already reaches zero, then the battery is completely deceased (dead), its life is ower and it must be sent for recycling. (Never throw away, its very important!!!)
    There is no way you can extend the life of the battery and you can only shorten it if you create a short circuit. A Li-Ion or Lithium-ion (ie LiCoO2 or simply Lithium cobalt(III) oxide) battery doesn't need to be full, and it doesn't need to be run to zero, but it's good if it is always fully charged and that means the charger is connected whenever possible and not set to 60% or 80% or whatever other in the BIOS. What the battery needs, it is already built into each battery package, have already been set at the battery manufacturer. That is not possible to change anyway.

PS.
    And you can get the best battery report by running this command (run cmd if possible as administrator)
    Code:
    powercfg /batteryreport /output %UserProfile%\Desktop\battery_report.html
    After run this cmd, find on the desktop html file battery_report.html - you can open it in your web browser.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Windows 10 User

Feb 2, 2017
    My previous laptop turns off as soon as I disconnect its power cord and I left it charging in the same position for years so baterries can indeed get screwed up. Then why does MSI Center have these settings to preserve the battery, then?

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @Windows 10 User
    It doesn't matter if the battery is in use or not, every battery loses its capacity almost completely in a couple of years. LiCoO2 battery loses about half of its original capacity (ie about 45%-65%) in the first year, and about half of what remains in each subsequent year. This means that your battery is now complitely dead due to its age and it is unusable.
    And also, if you connect to a charger, this battery will be charged very quickly or will never be charged. The first case shows that otherwise everything is OK, but the capacity is very small (non-existent), in the second case, the internal resistance of the battery has become so large that it functions only as a heater and can overheat strongly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Windows 10 User

Feb 2, 2017
    Then I don't know why this didn't happen with other laptops which weren't always charged.

8. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

Because IBM (then LENOVO) always had the utility to not fully charge the battery since the stone age, and because that is a good thing and most of other makers copied the feature.

There's a reason if new batteries are sold charged to 60% not fully charged.

Then on discharge is true that any litium battery has still 20/30 % when you read 0%, but that's just how the tecnology works, this has nothing to do with what's discussed here.

Any lithium charger takes care of what to do when the battery is "empty". What's discussed here is what to do when the battery is fully charged or close to be fully charged. Not going to 100% just improves the battery life.

9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    No one and never charges any battery either before or after its production and the initial charge of no battery is not 60%. The fact that there is a voltage or potential difference at the terminals of the new battery when it is idling or loaded with a small load is due to the natural state of the various substances pressed together.
    Exactly the same thing happens when you put two different metals or one metal and a carbon electrode in a suitable electrolyte solution. There is a voltage or potential difference between the terminals, while no one has charged anything and has never charged anything. The situation is exactly the same in the new lithium ion battery, where one electrode is LiCoO2 and the other is a regular carbon pre-electrode, which in this case has been installed in an alkaline solution.
    And even less is it all related to any computer company. These processes are absolutely not related to each other in any way.
    But whatever, if it's really that complicated, no explanation makes any sense, nothing depends on that either.

10. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Would be better if you talk of something you understand. And that's (as usual) not the case.

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Thank you for saying. I already thought that this wisdom wouldn't come today.
    If you want to know, I am a physicist, major in electronics, doctor of sciences. Although retired now, probably something have stick with me during life, so I'd recommend you also go to some school if You have time. Then it will become clear what you're really capable of.
    Good luck in life and remember it's never too late to learn.
    My best regards to You!!!!

12. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Yeah, and I'm the Queen Elizabeth .

Seriously... competence (if any) is something that surface each time a matter is discussed, no piece of paper or academic title will ever replace a real experience and understanding of a definite matter.

If I was you I would start, at least, to google a bit before bringing in your fantasy theories. Info on the web does not replace the real experience/competence, but they are way better than nothing.

13. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Dear Queen Elizabeth, it is a pity that you are dead now, but I appreciate your tremendous knowledge and great contribution to the development of science and the whole world.
    I especially appreciate your high intelligence and good attitude towards fellow citizens.
    Your suggestion to me is clever in itself, but my doctor is not Dr. Google, and most of all, it is because of his poor knowledge of things.
    But I'll stop now, because it's obviously not going to help YOU or anyone else here, in this forum. I really hope that you're so kind and will respond with the same. With that, you would respect also everyone else on this forum and of cource - yourself.
    I really hope, You understand. I won't answer you anymore.

14. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    I really would like to know which queen Elizabeth you referring to ..
    Since there was 1...2..3 and more I think
    :D

15. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    I omitted the number, purposely :cool:

Obviously the first. It's more plausible:D

16. Windows 10 User

Feb 2, 2017
    So, my previous laptop's battery got screwed because it was constantly being charged?

17. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Well, yes.

Charge limiters mitigates the effect of being constantly charged.

If a notebook is used constantly as a desktop replacement would be better (if possible) to disable the charge completely after the battery reaches 60%.

On my Dell that's matter of a key combination (but the feature can be accessed via the bios settings and also via the dedicated app).

Another option would be to use a old worn battery inside the notebook when it is used at home (just to have few minutes of backup power in case of power interruptions) and a good battery keept charged at 60%, meant to be used in mobility.

a further option would be to not use the battery at all @home. And use a cheap UPS to prevent data loss, in case of power interruptions, just like you would do with a desktop PC.

Unfortunately the above suggestions are futile with notebooks that ape Apple, given the battery is not easily removable/replaceable.

18. Windows 10 User

Feb 2, 2017
    #38 Windows 10 User, May 15, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
    (OP)
    Ok, then I'll keep using the 60% charging when the battery is below 50% setting in my new laptop and the 85% charging setting in my Android.

Also, is it normal for a manufacturer to release so many BIOS updates? Every time the BIOS is updated or MSI is reinstalled, the laptop's battery stops being charged until 60% when it's below 50% even though I set to do the latter on MSI Center so it means the setting is reset.

EDIT: Should I keep using the MSI Center setting to charge it until 60% when it's below 50% or use the MSI Center setting to charge it until 80% when it's below 70% instead?

19. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Well, likely that's done by purpose, to help their repair centers to reset the values to stock.

Once we had bios updates that asked if retain the settings or reset... but nowadays looks like are mostly gone.

60% is the value suggested for long term storage (for disconnected batteries or for batteries with charging fully disabled).

If the battery is in use (say you mostly use your PC at home, but once week you use it in mobility) you can use 80/85% which is a good compromise between energy stored and battery life saving.

20. Windows 10 User

Feb 2, 2017
    It's always in the same place, at home.