MSI Master2 FAR7 video card incompatibility

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Devilman1, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Devilman1

Devilman1 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2010
    I have a MSI Master2 FAR7 Motherboard with 2 Opteron 275 processor (OST275FAA6CB) and 4 Gbyte RAm PC2700 ECC Registered, the computer worked without any problem with my old ATI x1950Pro, but it started to do artifact so I decided to change it with a Powercolor HD3850 and then with an HIS Radeon 4670 both AGP.
    The system boot, but without video and the monitor shows no video input.
    The AGP slot works becuase I borrow an old Matrox G450 and I can see the video.
    Surfing the Net I read that is a BIOS issue, probably an ACPI problem,
    I contacted the MSi but they answered that the board is pretty old and that they no have interest in updating the BIOS.

Here is the BIOS link: download1.msi.com/files/downloads/bos_exe/Server_W9617VMS120.zipthe version is 1.20 and is Award.

Thanks

2. Devilman1

Devilman1 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2010
    I notice that the MSI K8T Neo2-F is very similar to my board except that it has only one CPU and that it use a realtek chip for networking instead of Broadcom and my is extensive ACPI compliant while the other only ACPI.

Could it help?

TIA

3. Devilman1

Devilman1 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2010
    I was just wondering if could be possible that this BIOS has a sort of whitelisti for all device included graphic adapters or if agp pro slot need to know the card ID to work.

Thanks

4. Devilman1

Devilman1 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2010
    I compared the bios version 1 and 1.12, where they assure to having improved the VGA compatibility and I noticed that ACPITBL.BIN is the same like:

B57PXE.ROM
    boot_blk.bin
    CPUCODE.BIN
    6420r210.ROM

while different are:

awardext.rom
    awardeyt.rom
    decomp_blk.bin
    _EN_CODE.BIN

if I compare version 1.12 with version 1.20 only:

6420r210.ROM
    B57PXE.ROM
    CPUCODE.BIN

are the same while:

ACPITBL.BIN
    boot_blk.bin

awardext.rom
    awardeyt.rom
    decomp_blk.bin
    _EN_CODE.BIN

are different.

I'm now wondering if it's really only an ACPITBL problem because the file wasn't changed to improve VGA compatibility and what is changed to improve the VGA compatibility.
    I know that some BIOS has "whitelist" of component with whom is possible to work, I was wondering if AGP Pro need to know the ID of all card are conected or if exist such a whitelist also for graphic card.

Both the not working card works on an ASUS SK8V Motherboard, and the power supply is an LC Metatron 1 kW.

5. Devilman1

Devilman1 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2010
    I just noticed that AGP Pro slot is an evolution of AGP4x slot could this explain why my 8x AGP card don't work?
    However the instruction claim that is AGP 4x/8x compatible, is it possible to check in the BIOS if is really so and to unlock the 8x?

Thanks

6. Devilman1

Devilman1 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2010
    #6 Devilman1, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    (OP)
    Could the DSDT table of an ASUS SK8V board extracted with Ami-Mod-Tool help?

On that particular board the HD3850 and, I think, HD4670 works.

Bye