mso-x-none.msp

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by murphy78, Oct 26, 2013.

1. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Just a warning to people who put msp files in the updates folder of Office 2013 to update the installer.
    There is a problem with the mso-x-none.msp from KB2827228.

It seems to give an error during setup.
    The previous version: KB2825632 also gives the same error.

I've included the mso-x-none.msp from 2827228 in a folder on my releases, but I wanted to warn people as it took me a fair amount of time to isolate the patch that was causing the problems. You can run the mso-x-none.msp file after install just fine. It's only when you include it in the updates\ folder that causes the problem.

They've removed the kbfile from ms download center and will probably be re-issuing it soon.

2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #3 acyuta, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    I really cannot find the download link for KB2827228. In catalog.microsoft, there is the link. It contains 2 en-us files of 1.25 MB and 1.62 MB. Downloading and applying that update (mso-x-none) does not help. That is windows update still shows 2827228 at 90-95MB for x64.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    #4 NICK@NUMBER11, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    same issue with this months updated mso-x-none file... if placed within the update folder it causes the same issues with installing.. so i am installing it manually from another folder after installation is complete using this command....

Code:
    msiexec /p msointl-en-us.msp REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus
    msiexec /p mso-x-none.msp REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I recall an error in late November 2013 with installing office 2013 by integrating all the updates. However, the install said repairing or something. It then went forward and completed the install. Since then, office 2013 has been working as it should.

Thanks for the head up anyway. Will rebuild the office 2013 install iso again excl. this update.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    I re-installed Office today with the latest updates and hit this same error.

At the end of setup, it shows "Error 2902. An internal error has occurred. (ixfAssemblyCopy) ... Setup failed. Rolling back changes."

This may be caused by conflict between mso-x-none.msp and msores-x-none.msp. If one of them is not present in the Updates folder, setup completes without error.

The conflict might be due to both updates attempting to install MSORES.DLL. But the MSORES.DLL in msores-x-none.msp is dated 7-19-13 and that's the only file installed by that update. mso-x-none.msp installs four files: MSO.DLL, MSORES.DLL, MSOSQM.EXE & OFFICE.DLL and they're dated 11-06-13 in the latest version.

So it might be better to leave msores-x-none.msp out of the Updates folder (instead of mso-x-none.msp) since msores-x-none.msp only installs that one outdated file.

I did two separate installs to verify leaving out msores-x-none.msp avoids the error. It can be manually run after install (but I doubt it'll even do much since it only contains the older ver of MSORES.DLL).