MsPacman on XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Hannibal Lecter, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    Hello,

We have three computers, two running on Windows XP. On my 3 year old hp notebook my downloaded MsPacMan runs perfectly.
    On my wife's new Acer desktop, also XP, it will not start...
    On my own new Acer desktop with Windows 7 it also will not start, which is fine... any ideas???

Greetings, HL, MsP player for 30years.... *

2. Ziras

Ziras MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2010
    #2 Ziras, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
    Sorry for the semi-off topic here, but Ms Pacman was created 19 years ago so you haven't been playing it for 30 :p

Anyways, are you using some sort of an emulator, such as DOSBox? Or is it a program directly installed on your computer? Some older games have problems playing on certain setups, so if it IS an older game that runs off of DOS, I recommend DOSBox to play it with (there is probably some other emulator out there somewhere too).

If it is a recently released remake or something, your best bet would be posting this on the companies official forums if they have any, though.

3. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I would try troubleshooting the compatibility by right clicking the program in order to do so...
    These are old games thou you might have to get funky in order to play them thou...

4. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    I did that on this computer, with the windows7, but 7 was unable to change it and make it work, but my wife uses XP... If I remember correctly there is no troubleshooting compatibility on XP?

5. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    I learned how to really play that game in the year I finished my studies in Berkeley. 1983 was the only year of my life I spent in the US, so no mistake possible... it is 30 years... It is a simply software, 864kb, downloaded from the internet for the first time 10 years ago, where it is still available. First installed on an old Fujitsu with a HDD of 20GB... then on my hp notebook with XP SP3, where it still works... but strangely enough, not on my wifes new Acer desktop, also with XP SP3. It is the original arcade game with one change it also has a high speed version.

6. Ziras

Ziras MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2010
    Sorry, typod. It was released 29 years ago :p.

It seems you are running it via DOS. Try getting a DOS emulator such as DOSBox and running it through it and see if it changes anything.

7. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    You could also run Virtual Xp mode on windows 7 to pull this off....

8. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010

Tried it, did not work...

9. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Try Vmware if not things are going to get slightly interesting...