multi boot windows 7...8 etc.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jabberwocky, Aug 12, 2012.

1. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I have a multiboot environment with installations of XP /VISTA and windows 7 in various guises 32 and 64bit .
    I am trying out win 8 but although itinstalls and loads fine and i can simply restart etc , no problem ,if I go into any of the other OSs ,windows 8 is no longer in the boot menu and I cannot get back into it .
    anyone else dual/multi boot with WINDOWS 8.

2. Adidas

Adidas MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    I got also an issue with booting WIN8 while a different OS (WIN7) is installed.
    i got a Desktop with 2 HDD's, on 1st HDD i got WIN7 installed. when installed WIN8 on 2nd HDD im disconnecting the 1st HDD to prevent it copying files to the 1st HDD to give me a UI multi boot option (i prefer to click F12 and select manually).
    so, disconnected 1st HDD and installed WIN8 on 2nd HDD, all went fine and installation finished with no errors. now, i reconnect back 1st HDD with WIN7, and while PC boots i click F12 and select 2nd HDD (WIN8) to boot from. well, it dosen't boot, it starts booting, i see the WIN8 logo, and that's it, PC restarts itself, only when i disconnect the 1st HDD with WIN7 installed on it, i can boot WIN8.

3. testplayer

testplayer MDL Junior Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I installed all my systems on VHD(x), and put them into a folder under the root of C:\, and use easyBCD to manage the boot menu (add entries for VHD native boot). In this way, if I don't like an OS, I just delete the VHD file and delete the BCD entry. Nothing could be simpler than this. And the performance of VHD native boot can be compared to "bare metal". See below for details:
    hxxp://blogs.technet.com/b/virtualization/archive/2009/05/14/native-vhd-support-in-windows-7.aspx

4. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I figured it out ,my HyperOS boot menu does not like windows 8 ,and it overrides windows own boot ,and easyBCD if installed .
    I will get in touch with HyperOS and get it upgraded .
    I have no use for virtualization of any type .I can install anything or all from windows95 through to win7 (so far) and any of the linux OSs . with full backup protection . with only a double click to change systems .
    this is just a minor glitch , HyperOS allways upgrade ,but windows 8 is not launched yet so maybe the demand was not there .
    thanks anyway.

5. Shady Cent

Shady Cent MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    I have Windows 7 but since when I installed Windows 8, when I turn on my PC I haven't the possibility to choose which OS starts, it only starts windows 8. I tried with EasyBCD and created two entries and now Windows 7 starts, but if I choose the Windows 8 entry I get an error for winload.exe, it says: IMPOSSIBLE TO VERIFY THE DIGITAL SIGNATURE FOR THIS FILE. So, how can I obtain a working boot menu??:(

6. testplayer

testplayer MDL Junior Member

Jun 25, 2011
    See this: hxxp://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9274