Multi CPU and Home Premium

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rasputinuk, Sep 15, 2009.

1. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    Hi,

Is there a way to enable dual CPU's in Home Premium? as I'm fed up with having to fork out for the Pro/Ultimate editions with the extra junk that's not needed. :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MCGamer

MCGamer MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Not exactly dual-CPU, but if your CPU and your mobo support hyper-threading, it will automatically divide your one CPU and trick your PC into thinking you have 2, so then it will divide up the tasks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    My CPU's are duel Zeon's with Hyperthreading and Premium just see's one CPU with hyperthreading but not the other unfortunatly, I've seen somewhere that it's possible to copy over the HAL drivers from PRO to Premium would that maybe work?

4. MaTrIx2k2

MaTrIx2k2 MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2007
    You can try this as Administrator:
    1.- Open CMD as Admin
    2.- Type "bcdedit /set numproc 2"
    3.- Restart the system

With this you may be able to see your two procesors, also I would recommed you to turn off hyperthreading, since that's only a emulation to see 2 cores, otherwise you may wanna try the "numproc 4", If something goes wrong you may need to use the recovery console from windows.

5. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    I will try and see if that works, and the copying of the HAL.DLL over. and let you know how I get on....:)

6. engage16

engage16 MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Unfortunately you may be SOL as the saying goes... Home Premium is locked to 'a single physical processor'... And Ultimate is not...

7. mcbyte

mcbyte MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    IIRC, Home Premium supports only 1 physical CPU, but unlimited Cores in that single physical cpu (unlimited = max 4 for quad core cpu's, or 8 if quad core with HT)

8. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    I'm afraid you are right, it was the same with XP's Home and Vista's Home premium supporting only one proc typical M$hit. I just object to paying double for an OS just because I choose Multi CPU as opposed to Multi Core solution. I would stick with XP pro but it didn't play nicely with my system, Vista Ultimate was better by not crashing every five mins or so, but other than that it was a right royal pain in the butt trying to get anything done. Windows 7 is better by far.:rolleyes: