Multi-OS Boot Manager

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by pisthai, May 3, 2018.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Which Multi-OS Boot Manager could be used for to boot Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows XP, Linux and Android on the same low power Netbook on the same HDD?

In real I would start with Windows 10 Pro, Windows XP and Android at least.

The Netbook is an Acer Aspire One ZG5 Series Model 150 with Atom N270 CPU and 1.5 GB Ram. HDD is 320GB SATA 3GBs.

Thanks for any useful info.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Not any answer yet?! Means nobody has an idea what and how to use to do such job? By so many 'Experts' on MDL!

Ok, I was taking a look at my old archives and found something which may (could) do such such job: BootIt BM. I never used that app so it would be a test. Just at this moment, I'm cloning, or to be precise I'm creating a Smart Image of the whole HDD of that Netbook on external HDD. After that, I'll do the installation of BootIt BM and see what it could do?!

As I like to have Android as well as an extra OS, EasyBCD could not be used because it runs on Windows only. What I need is an independent App which works also with Linux and other OS'es. So, BootIt may do that job.

If someone has experiences with BootIt BM (Bare Metal), it would be very grateful to get some advice. Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    After reading the manual of BootIt PM, I started to install Windows 7 Ultimate on that netbook on its own Partition.

The whole process of installing the 2. OS needed to start from within the BootIt BM app, directly install W7 on a free and unallocated space of the HDD was impossible because of the existing of already 4 partition: 3 for Windows 10 and 1 (very small) Partition for BootIt PM. For someone not ever used BootIt BM it's impossible to install that Apps first and after that a new OS!

Now both Windows 10 1803 and Windows 7 Ultimate working very well with no problems. Next steps would be a Linux OS and Android too. Not for today, for the Weekend and I hope that all will work. For each OS I'll use its own Partition with a size of 50GB, which is much enough for a testing machine. The HDD has 320GB and therefore there will be space for more testings of other OS'es.

Overall for the first testings, this App BootIt BM is an excellent piece of software, not a Freeware just worth the money for those who need to work with such app.

After finished installing that other OS'es, I'll post some pictures and maybe some small clips as well.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    On the first look, this app looks very promising, and it also works well. The main feature, in my eyes, is that it's bypassing the Partition limits of OS'es (windows 4 Partitions) and the developer claims that up to 200 Partitions (on the same HDD) could be created and used. I used that for 3 different Windows versions (XP Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows 10 Pro) already and it works very well. The problem started with Debian 9.4 Linux, I'm not able to get booted into Debian, and I'm quite familiar with Debian.
    Ok, I use an old Netbook for these testings, an Acer Aspire One, ZG5 Series, Model AOA150, with Atom N270 CPU, 1.5GB RAM, and 320GB HDD. That's very low power! Maybe that's part of the problem even I think it isn't.
    Jut at this time, I'd only Windows 10 Pro installed and try to get Debian working at this point, but it didn't, boot from Linux still isn't possible. I'm in contact with the Developer and they try (and say too), that Debian should work as it does with Debian 8, which is already a few years old. I downloaded today the older Debian 8.5 and will try that tomorrow.

If I get that all to work, the next will be Android, may firstly an older version of 4.x which is available for PC already.

Unfortunately there just a few Bootmanager available, special those which could be used for Multi-OS Installation on the same HDD. Most of those apps are quite old already from the 90' and the early 2k' while BootIt-BM seems to be the only one which still is in full development and support.

If someone would have some useful info about how to solve that problem or about other Apps which are Windows 10 and newer OS'es compatible, please let me know. Thanks.

5. @pisthai this is what i do to work with multiboot. i triple boot ( mint, 7 and 10) and i'm not an expert but i get it done.
    first install linux on a clean hdd to a partiton.
    now boot in sergei strlec winpe with usb and install 7 with winntsetup. and set active status to win 7 partition (install system partiton and c in one partiton)
    now only 7 will boot bcoz its the only active partition.
    now boot again in sergei and install 10 the same way you installed 7. and now set active partition to it.
    now only 10 will boot.
    at this point no bootloader is conflicting each other as only os will boot which has active status.
    now install easybcd in win 10 and set all three os as option to choose when windows 10 will boot.
    done.
    p.s. i never used android to multiboot. so i cant tell you about that.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @ShiningDog: Thanks for your suggestions.

That would not work for me with Windows OS'es, AND Linux, and Android! For several Windows OS'es, that isn't any problem! The problem is to get the Grub Loader to boot the EMBR extended Partition for Linux to boot and the same problem will be for Android!
    Because that Netbook is a very small and slow (and for sure very old) machine, which could only use a SATA HDD up to 320GB, all those (at least) 5 OS'es must be on that same HDD. The 2 internal SD-Card Readers of that Netbook could not be used for booting at all! I could boot from SD-Cards only via a USB connected SD-Card Reader, but that didn't helps at all! The BIOS and Windows accept up to 4 Partitions only and I need to get 5 Boot Partitions to work on that same HDD!

I've just done a new clean install of Windows 10 1803 again and will tomorrow morning start with a new Setup of BootIt-BM because I found a few things out which may do the job. Its now Midnight and I've to go to bed while have to work tomorrow morning. Will report after done the next steps.