Multiple NIC IP addresses under Virtualization Software?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by Vaako, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Vaako

Vaako MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    Hi,

I'm running Windows Server 2008 SP2 and like to use Windows 2000 in VBOX.

Does the virtual machine has his own IP address or does it share it with the main OS IP address?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    It gets it's own (IPs must not be shared between PCs). How it works exactly depends on the network mode you selected. The two main ones are:
    1. NAT: VM gets it's machine IP from the virtualization software's DHCP server. All network traffic is routed through the host PC, with the VM software acting as the gateway/router. From the outside, the VM seems to use the same IP as the main PC, though (because of the NAT).
    2. Bridge: Recommended if you want to set up a server that should be externally accessible. VM will get its IP from your main router's DHCP server. With Bridged mode, the VM becomes yet another LAN PC.

3. Vaako

Vaako MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    Thank you for the very useful information!
    Okay I'll go for the Bridge instead of NAT.
    I guess I have to setup this during install or can this be done (changed) afther the installation?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Vaako

Vaako MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    I have found it where to alter the settings for NETWORK BRIDGE ADAPTER.
    It was in the VBOX manager itself.
    Works perfect :biggrin: