Multiple windows installation isos on one disk and update automation

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by coolhandpuke, Oct 6, 2013.

1. coolhandpuke

coolhandpuke MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2012
    Ok Guys,

First post here and have to say mainly because the search function is great and I have used tons of stuff from here, including loaders, finding oem versions, bios changer to name a few.

So here is my question and I am hoping that you guys can help!

1) I install various operating systems every week, including and not limited to, windows 7, windows 8 and windows xp (all versions!)

2) I am constantly re burning these install disks and wanted to try a better? Faster? and easier to store way and considered using usb pen drives? SD cards or the like to install the versions I need, around 5 4gb sd cards might do it? BUT I was also wondering is there a way to have say an external usb hard drive with 4 or 5 partitions and each install being on each partition? But then I asked myself how would you be able to tell the computer which partition to use??? So any help on this would be great even if it is at all possible!

3) Once I have the systems installed on each machine then its on to the laborious task of UPDATES UPDATES UPDATES! I have played around with a few options from here, namely WINDOWS UPDATE DOWNLOADER, but all I can seem to do is download all the files which is great, especially if we have a network breakdown or something BUT I want to then be able to automate the instasll of the downloaded updates?? I am fairly sure that a fully automated download all updates, install, restart comp if necessary, then re carry on downloading and updating all on its own is probably impossible? But how close can I get?

Any ideas or flaming is accepted lol, im sure flaming will also make me learn more

in advance thanks to anyone that take the time to read this and offer up more to the discussion

Cheers

CHP

2. cmos

cmos MDL Junior Member

Sep 29, 2009
  3. cole31

cole31 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2013
    i am currently testing yumi. i have the same issue as you (i am using a 16GB USB strictly for OS installs) and i hate having to constantly format and recreate the usb to put a new op system on. so i will get back to you if the yumi works. if you do find anything let me know i am interested in this too. but in the mean time i use zotac usb creator. it can be found in the mdl projects.

4. coolhandpuke

coolhandpuke MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2012
    Nice cmos thanks will be reading up on those 2 and cole ....yumi???? never heard of it looking at that now too and SOUNDS like just what I need, will start testing this too and let you know

5. cmos

cmos MDL Junior Member

Sep 29, 2009
    @coolhandpuke ... it just takes its time, try to read the explanations and you'll see that it's one of the best solutions ... and customizable ...
    best regards,
    cmos

6. coolhandpuke

coolhandpuke MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2012
    OK so it seems that the install various os's from 1 place is done using Easyboot, THX again cmos or yumi most likely will do the job too although I am starting off with Easyboot as I think it has more possiblilities/options.

NOW what about the AUTOMATED UPDATES? Any ideas on this?

7. cmos

cmos MDL Junior Member

Sep 29, 2009
    If you talk about windows systems(xp->8.1) it's better to use nLite and WinToolkit and make yourself your updated isos.
    cmos

8. cmos

cmos MDL Junior Member

Sep 29, 2009
  9. coolhandpuke

coolhandpuke MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2012
    cheers mate, these seem very much like WUD which will just download the files and then i can add them to a custom ISO? What I want on top is like a batch windows update installer?

I suppose with my new method of installing now I could always make my own ISO with all the most up to date servicepacks/updates added and then stick with that until the new updates beome to many again and rebuild another iso but would much rather have a batch installer? Anything like this going or being worked on?

cheers again. chp

10. cmos

cmos MDL Junior Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Hi,
    They seem to be similar, but they are not ...;) it's up to you ...
    A batch it's more difficult to manage IMHO.

For me, integration of the new KB's(/SP's) every 3 months it's the best way of time saving on testing the new isos, and installing the os's to the final pc's(once the iso has the KB's integrated you don't need to perform the update of tens of KBs, which lately takes at least 30-60mins).

+