Must OEM XP installed from CD?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by knetxp, Oct 31, 2010.

1. knetxp

knetxp MDL Junior Member

Apr 30, 2010
    My laptop is Lenovo sunrise 120. the CD driver dosen't work, so I have to intall OS from HDD.
    But I found a problem.
    that is, if install XP Lenovo OEM from Hard disk, after the first restart, the installation program displays an error and the process won't continue.

I wonder can't all oem xp installed from hard disk?

Is there any possible way to install oem xp from hard disk?

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. knetxp

knetxp MDL Junior Member

Apr 30, 2010
    sorry, the laptop doesn't support booting from USB device.
    This method won't work on my laptop.

4. jimwatts

jimwatts MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2008
    You could try plugging a different cd drive in or try using a usb cd drive if bios supports booting from other device.

5. knetxp

knetxp MDL Junior Member

Apr 30, 2010
    it doesn't support booting from usb device and I don't have a cd drive which can be plugged into the laptop.

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    This is not a good situation.

You can install the XP to your HD from another computer.Before you swap out the current motherboard go to device manager and select the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller and select your current storage controller. Right click, select update driver and select install from a list or specific location. Click don't search I will choose the driver to install and select the standard dual channel IDE controller.

Over the network??

From CD over the networkl:
    You can google steps for both that are more complete I am sure. You can perform a RIS install, bit this requires a server machine and not simply another network share..(or so I am told..:rolleyes:)

Either way, it may be easier for you to beg, borrow, or steal a cd drive for the machine..Buying may be an option also...:)

Good luck......but I think you are SOL....for sure..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. hasenfrasen

hasenfrasen MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2009
    You could try PLOP that will boot a USB prepared with WinSetupFromUsb. I use a floppy with PLOP for those occasions.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    911 medic hit it on the head, some older machines required you to load floppy disk with IDE drivers before cd rom would boot i,e Windows 95, 98 or ME boot disk with CD-ROM support.

9. knetxp

knetxp MDL Junior Member

Apr 30, 2010
    booting from network is a good idea. but the notebook doesn't have a floppy disk drive.