Mutliple ISO bootable usb drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Humphrey, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    I am looking to have a USB thumb drive (or external HDD) of 32GB or more that has iso's/extracted install dir's stored in a directory that is queried and displayed in a menu style fashion. I have seen ways to do it with yumi (which will not let me select two microsoft iso's) or a menu.lst file like in hirens boot cd but unfortunate I have unable to get it to function. Windows OS's are what I would like this to work with. Right now I am looking to boot Windows XP, Vista, 7, & 8 from a single USB drive.

If someone knows of a program or tell me how its done that would be great.

Thnks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I used to run Windows 7 and Windows XP using YUMI from the same 32GB Stick about a year ago and that were working. In real, it were quite slow and a pain to work with it.

Now I run Windows 8, Windows 7 and XP from an external eSATA drive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #3 cocachris89, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  4. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    #4 Humphrey, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    (OP)
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That normally shouldn't be a problem for 32bit but 64bit.

I'll try that with an 16GB stick I've empty at the moment and see what will happens.

6. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    What would be the problem doing such from USB drive, I do not KNOW for sure if I have done it before but I almost certain that 64 shouldn't have a problem.
    I await your response.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I just download the latest version of YUMI.

The problem with 64bit would be that the start system of YUMI is 32bit. But let see, will use Windows 7 32bit and Windows 8 64bit and check.

8. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
  9. Hackministrator

Hackministrator MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2009
    Hello,
    The way is use to make my multi boot OS installer USB
    1) Install Yumi + UBCD
    2) Add Windows XP iso with yumi
    3) I have made a Win7PE ISO (WIN7PE SE) included in the USB key with YUMI => Now I can boot and load a light Windows 7 on every computer.
    4) I have extracted the content of Win 7 (AIO) and 8 (AIO) into separate folders on the usb key
    5) I Boot on win7PE and launch the setup from the extracted folder of windows 7 or 8 to install the OS
    6) Possibility to add a lot of other stuff on the usb key (drivers/software/repair tools)

Sorry for my english

Regards

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I create with Windows 8 32bit and Windows 7 64 bit and can only install Windows 8 32 bit. Windows 7 give an error while the starting. The ISO I used is OK.

11. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    I used YUMI and selected the two ISO's I wanted to run from the USB stick. Booted and selected it as boot drive and it gave error "Machine Check Error." Waiting for your response- Going to try something else.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The error I get for Windows 7 64bit is:
    Error 60: File for drive emulation must be in one contiguous disk area
    Press any key

Press a Key and I'm back at YUMI.

I also looked at EasyBCD but see how to get an bootable USB for more than 1 OS. But it's the first time I looked at it, and as I'm still in office, have not all time!

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That could work well and would excellent if both 32bit and 64bit could be used. Something for the weekend to test.

14. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    If someone would so kidnly point me in the direction to learning what Windows 7 PE is and how to make it.

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Windows PE according to MS Terms is an so called Preinstallation Environment.

It install Windows with limited feature also on external media. It's part of the ADK Which you could download from MS for free.

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  17. Weedy

Weedy MDL Member

Mar 9, 2011
    #20 Weedy, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    Hi OP,

I had been trying to do exactly this for months, and for me, all the tools in the world didn't work. Most of the time, it wouldn't boot on all hardware, and then when it did boot, the installers for windows would say they were missing a dvd driver and wouldn't continue the install.

I finally found a way of doing exactly what I wanted.

I created a bootable WinPE 4.0 drive, x86, then I used EasyBCD to add entries for an x64 WinPE, and both the x86 and x64 boot.wim's for windows defender offline.
    This gives me an x86 or x64 command line, from which you can run the installers for vista, 7 and 8 straight to the usb drive.
    It also gives you the option to boot from either x86 or x64 windows defender offline.

The only issue with doing this, is that XP doesn't install correctly when running setup from winPE.

To get XP to install from PE, you need to create a .wim image which you can then deploy straight to the machine. Takes the install time for xp down to about 5 mins. The major problem here, is creating a generic image of xp that will install to all different types of hardware. I searched again for a couple of weeks, following all the guides on how to do this, but none of it worked.
    Until I found a Chinese tool called "SPAT v6.0.9.9"
    Getting this tool is a pain in the arse, and figuring out how to work it is fairly straight forward once you get round the broken english.

Anyway, once you've used SPAT to generalize your xp install, capture it to a .wim and just place it on the drive. you can then create a batch file to deploy the wim to the C drive of any computer you want. (you'll need to copy imagex.exe to the root of the usb drive too).

If you want, I can provide screenshots of how I've got my stick laid out so you can see what needs to go where, etc.

I know it seems like a lot of hassle, but it works perfectly, and every time. Unlike all these tools like yumi etc. You can also customise the windows installers to make AIO installers, which will save usb drive space. Give me 10 mins, and I'll upload a few screenshots.