My boot time is too slow

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Skucuksahin, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Skucuksahin

Skucuksahin MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2018
    I'm using windows 10 1803 version and my boot time is too slow.When its start up its continuing running slow.(My specs like that: Intel Core i5-8300H,GTX1050 GDDR5 4GB ,1 Tb hdd 8 gb ddr4 ram (laptop).I do not getting performance ı got this laptop 2 weeks ago but my 7 years old computer faster than this laptop.

And also ı have %100 disk usage.

Can you help me.If you do it ı wil be thankful for this.

2. cyberloner

cyberloner MDL Member

Sep 19, 2009
    you need ssd hdd

3. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    yes that would be definitely the solution but first, he just bought his machine so by changing SSD, his warranty will be dead and he won't be able to return it in case the machine stops functionning, and secondly not everyone can afford buying SSD even if prices drop all over these years but still, a little bit too expensive and especially for the ones with big capacity.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    If you upgraded from a previous build, that's a plausible cause of slowness.
    I'd rather erase the hard drive and clean install (nuke n pave hehe).

5. Skucuksahin

Skucuksahin MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2018
    @cyberloner Maybe it is ture but for now ı dont have enough budget to buy an ssd like @ForrestGump said.I'm an student and ı bought this laptop for drawing 3 dimensional sketch but these errrors made me crazy.
    @Mr.X Actually ı didn't upgraded
    from any version because the laptop came with freedos.But even so I will try to make an clean install ( like you said nuke n pave :D) .But ı have one question Which version is better.Do you have an knowledge about it?( I have 1809 an 1803 Iso but ı also ı can download )

Thanks everyone for your replies :)

6. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    i would personally suggest to install win7 on the machine as it is to my point of view, the best os that has been creating until now. i've been using it since it was released and i have never been disappointed.
    if you really want to install win10 on your machine, i suggest to install win10 LTSB 2016 as it is knwon to be the more stable edition and the lightest win10 edition.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    Definitely put your OS (Windows 10) on a SSD. SSD drives are way faster than HDD.

Its worth checking what the seller of the laptop considers means for voiding the warranty.

~MC

8. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @Skucuksahin - Disk usage of 100% all the time isn't normal. It would be a good idea to find out what's causing it. Open the Task Manager and check it out.

When was the last time you did a complete virus/malware scan? That would be another reason for slow boot times and 100% disk usage. I would do these two things first before re-installing the system or buying a SSD.

9. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Downloading and installing updates through WU can also cause this disk usage saturation.

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014

Attached Files:

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I don't know what's crazy slow or too low as You said.
    This computer is not slow and it's normal booting time is 40-50 seconds and never more.
    But You must have clean and and without errors OS, the partition, where OS is installed shouldn't be never bigger as 250-300GB. It's recommended that it is the only active and also primary partition. All others is recommended to set as logical partition.
    If You have HDD as You said, it should be defragmented and optimized regulary. Registry must be cleaned and defragmented/compressed.
    So, if You really don't know, what to do with money and want to replace it with SSD, You'll get the booting time about 25-35 seconds. That's all. Also, I think You know, SSD not needed defragment. That is what You will get with SSD. Also active primary partition may be as large as You want, mostly no restrictions. But is recommended to have at least two (it's the minimum) partitions, if You have 1TB SSD.
    If You asked which OS, I'll say only W10 Pro or Enterprise.
    Disk usage 100%, means that something runs on background and takes too much resource. You must find it and then you can decide what to do with it.
    Maybe You haven't disabled background disk check, for example. But there may be several processes what runs at startup and are not closed properly, if should be closed. (Usually they are not visible in Windows task manager). Maybe You haven't disabled in settings apps alternatives and they runs in background. Maybe You haven't disabled Open SSH Server and Open Autenthication Agent and etc.
    There is many things what may run in background, look for them.

12. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Really? An SSD drive [120 GB] is just £20 on Amazon. Just put the original HDD away until the warranty expires and then buy a caddy for £7 and use it for backups, if you can afford a new PC you can afford to do this.

13. redxii

redxii MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2016
    I can only recommend an SSD... but one thing you can do is look in your notebook's BIOS/UEFI setup. There is usually an option to set a POST (power on self-test) delay, and set it to '0'. Look on the manufacturer's website for your notebook for how to access setup and change settings. How to access setup and the setup interface itself varies by manufacturer, so consult the manual/manufacturer.

That said, I bought a Kaby Lake i7 7500U notebook (1 TB HDD, 16GB memory, GeForce 940MX w/ 2GB dedicated memory) made to order a couple years ago and opted for a 1TB HDD because I wanted storage space. I wish I had gotten the SSD, storage space can easily be offloaded to an external portable drive. It takes a full minute on an absolute clean install to be able to log in. My previous notebook using Windows 10 (i5-2410M, 8GB RAM) has an aftermarket hard drive, comparable but 16MB less cache.. did better but by only 10 seconds.

I still have extended warranty in effect (plus accident coverage) but haven't gotten around to it, since the entire bottom has to be removed (they are mini-Torx screws), as opposed to when they made a removable Phillips-head compartment that covered the RAM & HDD.

14. darkodar

darkodar MDL Addicted

Feb 12, 2013
    That laptop not have support for Windows 7.

15. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    Check with hdd tune if its healthy

16. elzna

elzna MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    ahci mode, + uefi install + ssd = 2-3 sec boot time!!!

then u need to tweak the registry to avoid bloatware on startup. the new ltsc 2019 is full of bloatware

17. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Please, define what you call bloatware and give one example.

18. freiwald

freiwald MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2015
    he can't cause it's not true. there is not more bloatware then on older ltsc (ltsb) version.

1. get a ssd.
    2. install ltsc 2019
    3. disable windows defender (defender does check files so maybe thats the cause for the hdd usage)

if you don't want to do this steps, atleast install the newest "normal" windows version.
    you probably still got the bloated version installed which came with your laptop. with free antivir programs, useless asus software or whatever and whatelse.

things CAN be better then. but even then, without a ssd, it's not even worth it to start this laptop. everything still will be slow like 20 years ago

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Nobody reads:
    1. no budget for SSD: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/my-boot-time-is-too-slow.78294/#post-1478524
    2. The laptop came with free dos: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/my-boot-time-is-too-slow.78294/#post-1478524
    3. Defender should not affect it, it's a modern (i5 8xxx, 8GB DDR4 RAM) laptop, not an ancient one.

20. elzna

elzna MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    all the services that are on by default and is hogging the start up time. here's some good reg edits for fast boot. then you have the new windows health system, ugly bloated s**t i have ever seen.

below prevents windows 10 from starting up the softwares you had opend when you shut down the computer.

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" /v "PublishUserActivities" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" /v "EnableActivityFeed" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" /v "UploadUserActivities" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "DisableAutomaticRestartSignOn" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f