My Computer Is Borked!

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by espdigital17, Jul 2, 2021.

1. espdigital17

espdigital17 MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2017
    Specs: core i7-6700
    250gb SSD drive with Windows 10 Insider builds (Dev channel)
    1TB HDD (mostly unused)
    Gigabyte motherboard GA-H170-HD3
    16gb RAM
    Nvidia graphics (2gb)

There is a TPM slot on the motherboard (17 out of 18 pins) - I initially failed the Win 11 checks, but then the Dev build was waiting on Tuesday for me to install:
    - and so I did... and it took forever...

Then I hit the MEMORY MANAGEMENT issue...
    and the SETUP FAILURE issue...
    and the FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA issue...

Now I can't get past any of those issues, Windows 10 Rollback doesn't rollback, I cannot bring up Windows PE or RE, my original installation disc won't get past the MEMORY MANAGEMENT issue, yet I was able to get into a Windows 7 pre-install environment where I ran Startup Repair which ran for 2 hrs the first time before telling me nothing was wrong...

I've installed Windows 7 on my HDD & have tried upgrading to Win 8.1 & 10 but can't get past the first reboot...
    I've downloaded, installed & ran 2 separate partition tools but don't really know what to do without further borking things up...
    I've even tried 2 separate Linux rescuers, & still don't know what to do without stuffing things up!

As well as the infinite reboot cycle, I'm going around in circles online trying to find out what to do, without actually finding out much beyond the same old stuff or solutions which assume you can still boot into the Windows repair scenario... I haven't tried out youtube for that though.

Funnily enough, I'm writing this on my Windows 10 laptop, which is a 10th generation i5 & thus able to run Windows 11 quite well, but I don't dare try in case something like this happens again...

CAN ANYONE OUT THERE PLEASE HELP ME?!?

2. MarvelX7

MarvelX7 MDL Member

Jun 1, 2021
    Boot into livecd winpe and use Guimage to applay install.wim for win11 onto your c partition.
    you can save ur current systemfiles in windows.old folder.

3. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    What version did you try to install ?

Where did you get it from ?

How did you try to install it ? From what media ?

4. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    You need to save your files etc. and do a clean install. Trying to recover from a borked upgrade is very tough, especially when what you've upgraded to is in early development. You might even need to get into your BIOS and clear the TPM and revisit the secure boot settings, but do that after you've saved your files.
    Download a fresh copy of Windows 11 and use this https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/win-11-boot-and-upgrade-fix-kit-v1-5.83724/ to make a special ISO that lets you do a clean install on older hardware. Btw. be careful of the diskpart and apply image option - the default settings clean your HDD, including all partitions.

5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    If you have checked the memory modules and they passed through successfully without error reporting then remove most of the memory cards and install a single module of 8gb or less and try the installation again.

6. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #6 John Sutherland, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    I seem to recall the last time I saw the message "Page fault in non-paged area" after suffering a string of BSOD's using Windows 7, I finally traced it back to a bad DIMM. Test your memory before proceeding.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Extraordinary long shot here ......

It went from insanely hot to quite cold here in 24 hours and this caused some thermal expansion/contraction issues on one of my test boxes. This manifested in crashes while booting with inconsistent stop errors. Inconsistent stop errors is almost always hardware.

I took all of the RAM out, put it all back in and problem solved.

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It does sound like some kind of ram or at least hardware error from what you have described. You can try running a memtest for a while and see if that shows errors. If it doesn't, it might be a motherboard or overheating problem.

9. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    espdigital17

What you said isnt clear .

It seems to me that you had win 10 running and then tried a win 11 in place update ? = on a machine that you use ....... a machine with things you dont want to loose on ' C ' ? With a dev build ? And you have no backup ?

If so copy the hdd so you can rescue your things .
    Wipe the disk
    Reinstall

?

10. espdigital17

espdigital17 MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2017
    Thanks for your responses... 2nd & last repliers should take closer look at what I said, it's really not that hard to understand :rolleyes:

I magically solved the issue! :eek:
    Having downloaded & burned Hiren's magical toolkit to disk, I rebooted & was this time met with SYSTEM PTE MISUSE
    - so I googled it & discovered it's something to do with having PTT/TPM enabled...
    - so I went into my BIOS & turned the PTT setting off (not having a TPM chip in the corresponding slot on my motherboard):
    and waddya know, after a couple of reboots & disk checks, I have REGAINED MY WINDOWS 10 INSTALLATION!! :cool:

11. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #11 Michel, Aug 17, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    Post 1: "There is a TPM slot on the motherboard (17 out of 18 pins)"

Post 10: "so I went into my BIOS & turned the PTT setting off (not having a TPM chip in the corresponding slot on my motherboard):"

Post 10: ". 2nd & last repliers should take closer look at what I said, it's really not that hard to understand"

Maybe you should give better info instead of talking crap like this, people tried to help you :rolleyes:. You dont even know your own system.

12. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    There's a difference between a TPM slot and a TPM chip. The slot can exist but be empty.

13. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Yeah i am not that stupid, if you see a empty slot you know the chip is missing. So i wonder, why activate it in the bios in the first place when the chip is not installed ?

14. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Because it's usually a toggle. Setting to discrete TPM and not having any in the slot means Disabled. The other option of the toggle is Firmware TPM.

15. crypticus

crypticus MDL Senior Member

Jun 29, 2015
    just use workarounds