My Dell M1530 Laptop activation just broke :(

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by luminous, Oct 10, 2009.

1. luminous

luminous MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    #1 luminous, Oct 10, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
    My Dell M1530 Laptop SLIC 2.1 activation just broke :(

Installed Win7 sometime ago using a modded BIOS from here. All was fine, it all activated and there was no issue.

I turned the machine on tonight and it told me that my copy was not genuine. So I looked around on this site and found a new key that was appropriate for Win7 Ultimate. When I tried to use this I got a message that there was a license requirement missing from my machines BIOS (which I have previously flashed)

Anyone have any ideas what may have gone wrong here? I don't want to flash the BIOS again, it was a bit nerve racking the first time I did it. Have Dell changed their license codes in the BIOS just before they release their machines?

2. Rebs

Rebs MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2009
    I would say the key has been blacklisted.
    If you post the keys you used members here would be able to help you more.

3. luminous

luminous MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
  4. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Seems to be a bad BIOS flash.. if u hv made the recovery of ur previous BIOS, recover it and flash again..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    I used the same key and don't have any problems. I checked my computer and it says "Windows is activated".
    So, as it is said above maybe you had a bad bios flash?

Cheers

6. luminous

luminous MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    I am coming to the same conclusion as you both. Its just that if it was a bad flash I would have expected activation to have failed during some point over the last many weeks I have been using it.

I am wondering if one of the certificates used in the flash has been revoked and Dell are using new ones. If that is the case then more flashing just risks problems without being able to solve my activation issues.

Hmm, maybe I just need to find the courage to flash again. Issue is the more Dutch courage I find, the less ability I have to do the flash successfully :D

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    If you flashed once & had no problem, what could go wrong the second time?

There is only 1 certificate, it can not be revoked, it would kill all the existing Vista machines

sebus

8. luminous

luminous MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    #8 luminous, Oct 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  9. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    i installed windows 7 on a xps M1530 with the BBSC modded bios in dos mode, all is working fine, i used the dell key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    @luminous: Try to remove old key and certificate before insert new one. It can help. I have same matter with my HP 6530s as yours. First use of Lenovo key and WIN7 cannot activate. I try to remove installed certificate and Lenovo key first, then insert DELL key and HP Certificate and it work great up to now.

11. luminous

luminous MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    I will bear that in mind in future if I have to do it again. Thanks :)