My future with computers.....

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by arlawson83, Jul 30, 2022.

1. arlawson83

arlawson83 MDL Junior Member

Nov 23, 2021
    Forgive me if this is in the wrong section.

I don't know what I should do with when It comes to computers. I need to get a new laptop before next year, but I'm hesitant because at this point I hate every single OS that is available. I've been a windows user my entire life, but Windows 10/11 have literally caused me to hate it. They're so unstable (I have to reinstall windows at least once a week), deletes/corrupts my games and music, updates way too much and is packed with an insane amounts of useless apps that I don't need. Not to mention the telemetry which is concerning. I don't need any of the new features in these OS. I'm not obsessed with windows 7, but that was the last version that I could at least tolerate and the UI was just what I need (real start menu and only 1 Control Panel).

I tried macOS for the first time last year and that was the weirdest experience I've ever had with a computer (besides Linux). Everything was restricted, went through the app store (which didn't work well for me) and TBH I was f**king lost (what the f*ck is finder?). The software selection was abysmal and I really need an OS that allows for gaming. I use emulators for retro games and have a few other games through steam that I like to play. Macs don't allow for gaming which makes no sense to me.

I know it's best to keep up with technology, but my god windows is a s**t show now and everything else was unusable to me. Windows 12 is coming out in a few years, but sadly I have extremely low expectations. I have a feeling that it will basically be another downgraded version of Vista (miss that aero theme) like everything that was released after it with even more apps and tracking features.

I'm severely frustrated with this issue. I don't want to keep buying computers and get and OS that makes me want to smash it with a hammer. What on earth should I do?

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Honestly, go get a life away from computers.

You're welcome.

3. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    #3 case-sensitive, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #4 kaljukass, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    If you have such major health problems, such small abilities and a complete lack of knowledge, take your dolls or toy cars and deal with them in your play corner. So why do you need this computer and the terrible hatred. Do what you are capable of.
    All people are not equal and are not able to cope with all things equally. Do the things that are within your power. And don't forget to take care of your health, if you get so upset, it would definitely be wise to visit a psychiatrist. Do it before isn't too late.
    Health is the most important for everyone! Take care of your health!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

Come ON ! Do you think that a couple of billions of user base reinstall windows windows once a week?

That something that happened in the days of win 3.11 and 286.

If today you have to reinstall each week in 2022 you need either

• A basic IT course.
    • A working HW
    • A different hobby
    • A psychiatrist
    Or a combination of them.

I think the last time I did a fresh re-install for my personal use was in the AD 2004 or so, and even on my client's PCs I think I did that like 20 times in the last two decades, over literally thousands of fixed/managed machines.

Even in place upgrades (reinstalling windows on top of itself) should be considered one of the last resort given they fix your problem in the vast majority of cases, but at the price of learning nothing.

6. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    adopt a Chinese kid you will be happier and they know a lot about computers;)

7. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    1- use LTSC version, less Garbage. (my opinion only)
    2- use Aveo script. -> must-have privacy policies for windows [I improve the output, way better]
    3- I build a script for my own use to remove lot of s**t from Win* system,
    there are other too, than you will have a great experience

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Magmarock

Magmarock MDL Member

Oct 12, 2016
    I know what you mean about Win 10+

My suggestion that that you keep using Windows 7. if you're not able to use it due to hardware restrictions. Try a virtual machine. I use VMware Workstation. It works better with Guest Windows then virtualbox and you can use it in most distributions of Linux. Try Zorin OS with VMware Windows 7 guest.

9. Bruce NOTSpringsteen

May 8, 2023
    You could adopt Linux.