My idea of upgrading to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by wjy, Jun 16, 2015.

1. wjy

wjy MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2014
    So far, we know that Windows 7 and 8.1 users can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. But, if an user had a valid Windows 7 license, and then he/she upgraded to Windows 8/8.1, and later he/she will upgrade to 10, is it unfair to him/her? It's because he/she has paid twice: Both Win7 & 8.
    So, Microsoft should give this type of ex-Win7 users a special offer, what do you think?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Hold your breathe and count to 200 if you think MS cares

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    If both 7 and 8.1 keys are retail, you can use one of the two on another system. If 7 was OEM, upgrade to 10 and use the 8.1 retail to another machine.

You would end up with Windows 20!

4. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    upgrade both to windows 10 then sell one code on ebay done.

5. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    and your bidding pri$e will be?;)

6. fonix232

fonix232 MDL Novice

May 1, 2011
    If you upgraded to Windows 8/8.1 during the promotional time (when it was what, 15$ for Windows 7 owners?), then why the hell would MS give a damn? You're already getting a free upgrade, and you were using a system that would otherwise cost a good 100$ for 15$.

Unless you bought a full retail license, no, you won't get two upgrades for each key...

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I don't get this. :)
    What special offer else than free upgrade? If it are 2 licenses both are upgradeable...if he/she transferred the w7 into a w8 license then the one saved money already because of a cheap offer...

8. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Unless you bought the full version twice (not the upgrade versions of Win7/8.1), you haven't actually "paid twice"...;) After Vista, I doubt most people bought full versions of either Win7/8--I didn't. This deal allows you to upgrade from your upgrade...I haven't bought a full copy of an OS since Vista when I bought Ultimate for $250...;)

9. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Senior Member

Mar 18, 2010
    I have a SLIC 2.1 activated Windows 7 Ultimate (being used)
    I also have $14.99 Win 8 Pro License (not used so far)

Could these be converted to two Win 10 licenses?

10. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Yes and Yes

11. crashnburn

Mar 18, 2010
    The Win 8 Pro 14.99 license was obtained as part of the 14.99 Upgrade deal while running on top of Windows 7. Will that then count as ONE or can I get one on top of each.

I am curious how the licenses once obtained will work for Native Boto VHDs that move between hardware.
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...Ds-Native-Boot-amp-Virtualized-in-VMs-Details

12. wjy

wjy MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2014
    Um... You guys still don't know what I mean clearly.
    I'll tell you about it in detail later. :mushy:

13. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
  14. JBenal

JBenal MDL Senior Member

Nov 2, 2009
    I bought Windows 7 Pro and then upgraded to 8.1 Enterprise and use WTK. Will I be able to use the Windows 7 key on the COA to activate Windows 10? Likewise, I have a laptop that came with Windows 7 home, but it's now running 8.1 Enterprise. Will I be able to use its COA key to upgrade to 10? Will I have to replace the OS on these computers to the original Windows 7 to do the upgrade?

15. wjy

wjy MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2014
    No @FaiKee, seems that your idea is closer to mine but still not exactly what I mean. Sorry, I will tell you tomorrow as I'm now using an inconvient Internet TV to reply you. Sh*t.o_O

16. wjy

wjy MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2014
    Sorry, there's a small amendment: it should be inconvinient.

17. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    You will have to return to Windows 7 and then do the upgrade.

18. onenoall

onenoall MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2015
    From what I understand, although now it seems like everyone gets the same free upgrade to Windows 10, their right to use Windows 8/8.1 was what people actually paid for. Those who did not stayed on Windows 7. That difference justifies the extra cost, so no, Microsoft should not give them any additional special offer.

19. crashnburn

Mar 18, 2010
    This is the thing.. Win 7 license was on OEM via SLIC 2.1 insertion on Thinkpad.. But the 14.99$ upgrade on top of that. did it become Retail? Or does it stay OEM..?

Is there a way to check the "Serial" & "Key" obtained from Microsoft for the 14.99 version.. whether it is Retail and whether it is Pro? Some online/ offline tool in which the key can be "diagnosed/ identified"?

I am curious how you took both your Win 7 (Pro & Home) to 8.1 Enterprise? (were both via using the Toolkits on MDL). I thought Non Enterprise Windows could not be converted/ upgraded to Enterprise versions?
    PS: Gathering that your Win 7 Pro - Retail, Win 7 Home - OEM

20. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    #20 msr, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Ms, are only interested in keeping there base customers. They want you to hang onto windows, and they know that alot of competition exists today to take you away from windows.

So, in terms of how op sees it, that is not how they see it. Ms knows that windows 7 works very well, so why should people upgrade? The same thing happened with xp, but then ms did not have the competition it had with others.

Microsoft are trying to keep there base, and i doubt they care really about minor details like op cares about.

The public have loads of options now. We all know most people use computers for a few things, and only a minority really need a fully fledged os. Thats why ms are scared, as the public has alot of options now to go elsewhere, and they saw that in sales of windows 8.

So what does it matter, microsoft want you using windows 10, and they know most will not pay for the upgrade.

Before windows 8 failed, really microsoft cared little about there public. Its only the low sales there, that has changed ms idea, and they now know that they have competition.