My Options for an OS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gillist419, Aug 17, 2014.

1. gillist419

gillist419 MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2014
    Hello,
    I bought a used Macbook Pro. When I power the unit on it takes me straight to disk utility screen. I think the person who had it before me wiped the OS. The Macbook Pro is a 2009 model and I found out the original OS X was 10.5.7. My question is this, what options do I have about installing a new OS on the machine? Sadly I do not have any installation disks.

I have never owned or worked on a Mac before. I have on many occasions used Windows Loader by DAZ to install Windows OS on PC's before. Is there something similar for OS X?

Thanks for any information.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. llGoogolpleXll

llGoogolpleXll MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2014
  4. gillist419

gillist419 MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2014
    Thanks guys. I will reply and tell you how it goes.

5. GarryH_Geek

GarryH_Geek MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2013
    Personally I may recommend to check the memory size of the Mac, as Maverics can seriously slow itself down if the memory array is too small. The minimal 'comfortable' size is a 4 Gb I guess, so upgrade ut if you need before you wlii try to install Maverics. Best regards!

6. gillist419

gillist419 MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2014
    Well after many trial and errors, and many hours of reading and studying, I broke down and bought a snow leopard install disc. It was only $20 from the apple store. I was able to successfully install os x 10.6.3. I then upgraded to 10.6.8. I will probably upgrade to mavericks sometime in the future, but for now I am happy that I got the MAC up and running. Thanks everyone for the input and advice.

7. philexile

philexile MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2014
    You should upgrade. Snow Leopard is pretty old now and its best just to stay current. I've been using Macs since OS 7 and Apple doesn't support stragglers. :p