My PC doesn't boot anymore

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by a123179, May 29, 2015.

1. a123179

a123179 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2014
    #1 a123179, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Today I booted my PC and on Desktop an error showed up saying there were some errors in my HD and needed to reboot.
    It started with win8-chkdsk-600x452.png but about at 64% it restarted and it got on the same screen but directly at 100%, but then the monitor went black and didn't see any activity from the HD LED on my case. I tried some recover option from the built-in Win8 recovery, but without success.
    Can someone explain me what should I do?
    Also now I'm on a live of Ubuntu and would like to see if I can retrieve my files, but don't know how to access my HD!

EDIT: In Build-4632.jpg I choosed the first option but surprisingly there were no point present. I tried 'automatic repair' too without success.

RIEDIT: in prompt I used 'sfc /scannow' and it was over in about 60 seconds (in a 2TB HD half full!), it found something e recovered it and restarted but again it went with a black screen. I tried 'chkdsk /r C:' over in 2 seconds and found no error but I read 358399KB of total space on disk! (also isn't weird that in promp I have "X:\" instead of "C:\"?)

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    What I would do in the first place to run a diagnostics program for HDD and look for damaged sectors.
    You don't know how to access your HDD because of your lack of Ubuntu knowledge or HDD is not listed or detected within Ubuntu?

3. a123179

a123179 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2014
    See my edit for your first phrase. For the second plese look at these (I have 2 HD of 2TB): Screenshot.png Screenshot-1.png Screenshot-2.png

4. a123179

a123179 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2014
    Sorry for the up, but had to do another post to upload more than 5 screen:
    Screenshot-3.png , Screenshot-4.png , Screenshot-5.png , Screenshot-6.png
    Also why I read some RAID reference in the penultimate screen? I had RAID in the past and that reference it worries me.

5. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    You weren't by any chance doing a late install of the May Patch Tuesday updates when it happened :confused: I had the same thing happen to Me three Days ago. :( I was quad booting off two SSDs with Win 7 and 8.1 installed on one SSD in MBR and another with the Win 7 and 8.1 in UEFI. The updates went ok on the MBR drive but when I restarted after updating Win 8.1 on the UEFI drive I had the same problem as You :mad:
    By disconnecting the MBR drive I was able to get the Win 8.1 to boot then I had to do a Refresh install off the desktop. After that I was also able to repair the Win 7 too. The OS's on the MBR drive were shot. Every time I'd connect the drive it would BSOD whatever OS was running, even when I docked it to another PC. I used Mint to salvage pics and documents, as well as to delete the partitions. I was then able to reconnect the drive to Windows and do a low level format. :( Lost Hundreds if not Thousands of Hours of Work because I'd run short of space and used the drive I kept My cloned copies on for storage :weep:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. a123179

a123179 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2014
  7. a123179

a123179 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2014
    Well...I tried opening the first 3 icon on the first image of the previous post, and I always get:
    "Unable to mount location
    Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 21: fuse: mount failed: Device or resource busy" :(

8. hydranix

hydranix MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2013
    Still having issues?

It looks like either you currently have a RAID setup, or old RAID metadata is still on the disks, causing Ubuntu to try and set the disks up in a raid. That third 2TB disk you see is the RAID-1 device Ubuntu created. If you don't have a RAID setup, you'll want to remove that bottom 2TB device via the disk management interface.

Then you can attempt to mount the partitions on the disks you wish to access.

Further, if this was a true RAID-1, you should be able to access your files with either disk.

You could use the dmraid tool from the terminal to remove the RAID device as well. If you cannot do so from the disk utility.

9. a123179

a123179 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2014
    Right now I managed to access my files, but it will get me a loong time doing a backup since I'm using a program (TestDisk) that doesn't have an easy interface!
    After this I will try to recover Win.

10. a123179

a123179 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2014
    I finally made a full backup!
    Now for the recovery part: I now remember the first weird warning was on Win7, then I did a clean install of Win8 so I can exclude a RAID made by Win; also in the bios there isn't any RAID configured; then how could a RAID still be possible (I don't have an HW RAID controller)?
    Despite the backup, I still want to recover Win, therefore I want to be sure of what action I should now do!

11. Hello!

"do you think..."
    Yes, it is.

"why..."
    Because is the typical partition scheme for an UEFI/GPT-based Windows installation.

"those..."
    No, they don't. They are Microsoft Reserved Partitions (MSR); special partitions created by Windows. "chunks of disk space... may be taken for the creation of new partitions, which themselves may contain data structures".
    technet microsoft com/en-us/library/hh824839.aspx
    wikipedia org/wiki/Microsoft_Reserved_Partition

"why..."
    I think it is because Linux can natively recognize the New Technology File System (NTFS) used by Windows in that partition together with its attributes... Contrary to what happened with the MSR partition.

"I..."
    Yes, I believe you could do it... Some times the problems are "little" incompatibilities between the interpretations of GPT structures on each operating systems; so I could consider to upgrade Ubuntu.

"Now..."
    And at last, I think you experimented, for some reason, a change in some settings... Maybe for software recently installed or used.

I hope this helps [: