my pc stop working

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by chompi, Jan 7, 2015.

1. chompi

chompi MDL Member

Nov 17, 2010
    i need to do some test, to know what kind of problem i have. the screen black. I hear the fans working, if i try to stop (press the front button ) nothing happens. i have to unplug to stop the fans. when i put the electric connector, the fans start again. i change the battery, but is the same. please, tell me what test do i have to do, to see if i can put in service again.any ideas ?

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Begin to replace PS unit, borrow a spare part if possible before you spend some money.

3. chompi

chompi MDL Member

Nov 17, 2010
    yes sir: question: how can test my ps. i am sorry, i don't know how. and i think maybe i can run a test in motherboard too.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Very likely mobo could be as well since all the symptoms you described correspond to a hard failure.
    You can google to find out how to test a PS, tons of info out there...
    If the mobo is bad then there's nothing you can do, only a qualified technician can repair it, most cases mobos have no solution though. You would need to replace it.

5. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Get yourself a boot CD like Hirens boot CD and try to boot with it . If it doesnt work throw the computer away .

Repaiing computers is mostly not a good idea . To find a fault take all the pats out of the computer that it doesnt need to run . Then try to boot with the boot CD . If that doesnt work change one part for another that you know does work . That way you might find the fault . The problem is that the problem that broke the computer in the first place could break thye new parts that you change = That can cost a lot of money and spare parts and maybe get you nowhere .

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    AFAIK and I am a technician, there's no risk involved by swapping a spare PS (borrowed if possible) just for testing. I know that most likely the damaged part is mobo but if you can save some bucks for yourself worth is the hassle. Just the PS in this case with these symptoms.

7. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    a couple of things you might try, stick you nose into the computer does it smell bad like something electric burned out if so its most likely your power supply, second check your memory sticks to see if any are loose also your video card or any other plug ins you might have and the cord to your monitor o_O these are a few simple checks if none of these help then I would try the PS swap first ! hope some of these suggestion's help :)

8. chompi

chompi MDL Member

Nov 17, 2010
    I am very thankful to all of you for your help. i am going to test the mobo first. i hear somebody say to remove the memory bars, to do so. just one last word. months ago, a pc give problems, and you know what was bad: the button you have to press, to star the machine. i am going to test that one too, because the pc, keep running without stop. i press that button and nothing happen, i can hears the internal fans running.any way this is finish. case is close, and i am thankful for all your help.