Mysterious "L" drive in windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by newbiesf, Apr 22, 2010.

1. newbiesf

newbiesf MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2010
    I apologize if this is in the wrong section -- I am using Windows 7. I just installed a second DVD RW Drive (Sony Optiarc). When I go into my computer is shows my HDD (drives C and D), DVD RW drive E, DVD RW drive F, and CD drive L. I don't have another CD drive installed. Can anyone tell me what this "L" drive is and what I should do? This extra drive does not show up in Win XP. Thanks.

2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Are you using a CD emulator software such as Daemon or even a backup one like Acronis. The surest way in my experience is to disconnect and reconnect the drives.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    UltraISO can add it also make sure virtual drive is not selected in configuration.

4. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #4 Mr Jinje, Apr 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Tell me what happens when you run this.

Code:
    fsutil fsinfo drivetype L:
    Otherwise, open diskmgmt.msc and hit ctrl + printscreen, and create a picture so we can see what is going on.

Failing that, next step is right click on L: in my Computer and select properties.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    I also had this happen. It shows in Explorer, but does NOT show in Disk Management

And it is NOT emulation also.

Just some left-over in registry from changing drive letter of the DVD

sebus

6. JesseKnows

JesseKnows MDL Novice

May 24, 2009
    If you right click the drive and select "eject", does one of your drive trays open? That would be the real drive associated with the letter. If none opens, it's some phantom.

7. newbiesf

newbiesf MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2010
    Thank you all for your replies! I am using Acronis home 2010 and I installed UltraISO. Mr Jinje, I can't figure out how to take a screen print and post it here, but the drive shows up in explorer too. I unstalled UltraISO and the "L" drive disappeared. Problem solved! You guys are fantastic!

8. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    #9 3sidedcube, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    OK first check if you have emulation software on your computer like deamon tools magicISO,
    powerISO ,acronis or other
    If you do have emulation software then use the emulation software to disable the extra drive.

If you don't have emulation software then right click on my computer select computer properties and then device management and then rescan then close and reboot.

for some reason win7 seem's to keep the devices after they have been removed. but this seemed to remedy the problem.

hope this help's

3sidedcube:biggrin:

by the way print screen is next to F12 press the key printscreen and then open paint and then press ctrl & V and this should past into paint... i think. Then you can past in next post that you do

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    You can install ultraiso and also have an option of not making an emulator drive. This is achieved at the install stage of ultraiso itself, when it gives various options. Untick `emulator drive' or something like that. It is just that many (including me) are in such a tearing hurry to install that we just click next and next, and lo, you get an ask toolbar, an emulator, and all other unnecessary (for many) options. For this specific problem with ultra iso, just read at each stage before clicking next. If you do that, you will get ultra iso without a virtual drive.

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    If installing silently use uiso9_pe.exe /SILENT /SP- /MERGETASKS="!isodrive" /NORESTART"

And no emulator drive will be installed.