NC4400 : Problem with modded Bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by dj3, Aug 2, 2011.

1. dj3

dj3 MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2011
    Hi,

I've installed nc4400 modded bios without whitelist (modded bios from this forum, by TTAV134's post #290, "This is no request thread! HP COMPAQ bioses, how to modify the bios?" thread, can't insert link o_O).

I installed an Intel 5100, and i must install the network card computer powered on. When the computer start, i pass the bios, and i stop the grub's timewait. I install the network card, and i continue booting. The network card work properly when the os is booted.
    When i stop the computer ("halt" on Linux), the computer doesn't stop really, the power led is still green, and he consumes power. On battery, he consumes more like sleeping mode. I can restart the computer without problem, but whern stopping, the problem happens every times.

If i install the network card when the computer is off, power supply disconected, batteries removed, when i plug any power sources, the computer start automatically, fan at full speed, black screen blocked and the power led blink green/yellow.

It's really weird and annoying. I need WiFi n, because the wall of my house is thick (50" of 100% real stone, very old house). WiFi G doesn't work in every place, or with poor rates.

May i must reinstall Ubuntu? I don't think, but it's a weird problem...

Thank you for your help.

2. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    Is there not a bios with the whitelist. If so why not use that

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dj3

dj3 MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2011
    I need a bios without whitelist. Intel 5100 is blocked by regular bios. I've found a way to bypass this limitation, but i can't halt/reboot the notebook...

4. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    The bios with the white list removed should work.
    Are you also saying that you are installing and uninstalling your wlan Intel 5100 with the power on. You are taking big risks in damaging your laptop and your intel wifi card. I hope i am wrong, Hopefully someone else will come along to support me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dj3

dj3 MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2011
    Totally right :
    I've found many motherboard on ebay, lower prices are $20.

Hmm, resuming :
    - Regular BIOS block the Intel 5100, possible to bypass, with big risks of damaging (killing motherboard),
    - Modded BIOS doesn't block, but the computer can't totally stop, it consume power. Removing/reinstalling battery cause error (led blinking, can't boot, etc...),
    - I've temporary stole the Atheros 52xx WiFi card of my girlfriend's computer. This card work well, computer stop/start, no problem.

I think that the problem is with this particular card (Toshiba branded card) and the modded bios. I'm looking for another wifi card, must be:
    - WifI abgn
    - support monitor/master mode
    - Supported on Ubuntu Linux (especially Backtrack 5 :whistling:)
    - Full size

So :

Plugging a PCI / MiniPCI / PCIExpress / MiniPCIExpress card, etc... on any computer powered on may cause big damage on your hardware (99,9% of cases). Don't do that.

6. thatguychuck

thatguychuck MDL Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I'm sorry, I don't have the know how to help with your bios, but the full size requirement caught my eye. I haven't had the need to purchase one, but I remembered seeing a full to half size adapter some where, a quick google search pulled up this link:

*Sigh* I still can't post links, but I think you get the idea. It's just a small piece of plastic with the correct screw alignment.

They look rather simple, I bet one could be made at home!

7. dj3

dj3 MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2011
    You're right, easy to find (ebay $3), or to make.

I want in the first time solve this bios issue. No one make interest to my probleme, is my notebook too old??

8. dj3

dj3 MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2011
    Hello,

I've another limitation, i've intalled two 2x2GB Ram. Bios see 4GB, but it says that he allow only 3,5 GB. On Linux 64Bit, i've only 3,5GB.

HP says that "Above 3-GB, all memory may not be available due to system resource requirements." Why? What can i must do?

thank you!

9. coisativo

coisativo MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2012
    I've got the same problem. Intel 5100 wifi card is not allowed in even using the mod stated as "whitelist removed".

Another question: what type of BIOS is the one for the HP NC4400 and how can I extract it ad what tool should I use to make it SLIC2.1? I have been trying all I could find in this forum but am not able to do it. I know there is a mod already ready out here but it would be really cool if I could actually do it myself too.

Thanks.