NCQ in vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by poedoom, Sep 24, 2007.

1. poedoom

poedoom MDL Junior Member

Sep 15, 2007
    hi all i have been playing with strip sizes in raid 0 on vista64 and have come to get very good results by running a 32k strip size and turning off native command queing which can be accessed through device manager/storage controllers then double click the serial ata controller and turn off ncq for all drives one by one restart is required i run a nforce 590 board my friend who runs a nforce 550 board has done the same thing with positive results on his raptor drives, my burst rate in hdtach has gone from 380 to 510 :) hope this helps ppl

2. tensor

tensor MDL Novice

May 1, 2007
    i have an Nforce 680i (striker) board, and don't have that setting for the sata controllers (3 nvidia, and 1 Sil).

What version Forceware are you using ?

Does your drive support NCQ ? or is this not relevant to the performance increase ?

3. gollum

gollum MDL Member

Jun 6, 2007
    #3 gollum, Oct 2, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
    Very interesting. Just yesterday i was trying to find out about NCQ Settings in Vista. I am running a nForce 490 and always had NCQ Settings at the ready just as poedom said, via taskmanager/s-ata controller under XP.
    However, these settings seem to be gone under vista. i am quite unable to locate them and check performance with vista.
    I just noticed a significant drop in hdd performance under vista 32bit and wondered if switching off NCQ would help?
    Maybe someone who knows could point out why there seem to be no ncq settings under vista...
    (might this just be the driver or is it rather vista itself or am i just dumb?)

[EDIT]
    Well looks like its a little of each...
    found the NCQ setting but its greyed out and not changeable. two drives connected to it, Samsung SP2004C in Raid 0 mode. might that be the reason? could NCQ be disabled in Raid-Mode? It never was under XP however...