Necessary to Patch in ei.cfg?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ktan91, Mar 16, 2010.

1. ktan91

ktan91 MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2010
    I put together a Windows 7 iso and deleted ei.cfg. The only thing I'm unclear on is if it is necessary to patch the iso with the Ultimate ei.cfg or if I can burn the iso sans ei.cfg. If someone could clear this up for me I would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. gunducirix

gunducirix MDL Novice

May 5, 2009
    It's save to remove ei.cfg in windows 7 DVD folder so you can choose which windows edition want to be installed in your PC

3. ktan91

ktan91 MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2010
    I guess I should have been more clear. If I install without ei.cfg will there just be some sort of menu to to choose from to determine which version I'm installing or willl it be determined when I choose a key/cert etc...? Also, would I be wrong in assuming there isn't a downside to patching the iso with ultimate's ei.cfg before burning?

4. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    What ?

Wasnt gunducirix clear enough ?
    Remove ei.cfg and you can install any version available on the dvd period.

Your not really patching the iso by doing this ok?, your just removing a file thats all.
    Delete it, save and burn to a dvd at low speed and your done.

5. bluecatfish

bluecatfish MDL Junior Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I may be wrong but I believe if you patch it with the ultimate ei.cfg you will have a DVD that will only install ultimate.

6. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
  7. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    actually you simply need a boot image from a win7 disk. but the above tool seems to work also. i prefer the old fashioned way even though it takes more time im not sure why but i always do it that way. you can do above method or see my digital river thread for the how to using imgburn

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
    It looks like your Tool can work in place of WAIK .. this will be great for making "All-in-One" Win7 ISOs bootable :)

9. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    unless Microsoft uses UltraISO to put the images together that statement is garbage. I've made a 32-bit iso and 64-bit iso as well as a 32/64 bit all in one iso using UltraISO and they all boot just fine

10. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
    #11 iamanoob, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
    Search on Google.. i just told you why it wont boot unless you use WAIK, CDimage, or Armada's tool ..
    It's better to research before jumping in blindly :)

P.S.
    why do you think there's all of these "Edition Switchers" for Windows 7? think about it .. lol
    if what you say is true.. then everyone would just use MagicISO or UltraISO ..
    You have all of this precious knowledge posted on this forum by some amazingly talented people .. but yet you are too lazy to read ?

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #12 urie, Mar 17, 2010
    you can use ultraiso or any iso type program you just save the boot file from bootable iso i know you can use oscdimg.exe or CDimage also on some older motherboards you need to use the vista boot file.

12. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
  13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yeah think were getting mixed up here with the words rebuild it you can open up the iso with UltraIso add say $OEM$ folders alter ei.cfg e.c.t save it. it will still be bootable or you can save the bootfile from the iso extract contents to say windows7 folder then work with WAIK or DISM add files from windows7 folder to ultraiso load in the bootfile you saved burn to dvd or save iso it will boot.

14. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010

Hold up.. im trying to understand this statement:
    So.. you're saying..

1. Extract the ISO with MagicISO
    2. Remove "ei.cfg"
    3. Compile back into an ISO.. just the way it is (without anything else)
    4. and it will boot?

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #16 urie, Mar 17, 2010
    you don't even need to extract the iso i do it all the time just open iso with UltraISO add say $OEM$ folder to sources and and delete ei.cfg file then burn to dvd yes it thats it you dont even need to save the iso it will burn it on the fly and you still have untouched original iso or save as different name. Another thing you can do makes it real easy is open up your say original bootable windows 7 iso select all the files delete them save the iso as say windows7_empty.

Then if you have a windows 7 extracted to a folder to work on once finished open up the empty iso file and copy the files and folders from windows 7 folder and burn it or save it is bootable.

GRMCULFRER_EN_DVD.iso original say 2.34 GB

GRMCULFRER_EN_DVD_empty.iso 544 KB

handy for sending to a novice

16. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
    #17 iamanoob, Mar 17, 2010
    hmm.. i just tried with MagicISO and it won't let me alter the original image without extracting to a folder first ..

so.. if i extract to a folder
    - then remove "ei.cfg"
    - then compile back into an ISO
    - it will still boot?

EDIT
    hold on.. i figured out how to remove the EI.cfg without extracting first..
    let me try and compile then install with it .. to see if it will boot..

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #18 urie, Mar 17, 2010
    hold on till i grab copy of Magic Iso don't use it and i will report back

according to MagicIso web page

Update:
    i just downlaoded and tried MagicIso it does the same as UltraIso you can edit files in the iso without extraction and burn on the fly.

18. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    This conversation is kinda blowing my mind a little. I know from experience that all three of these ISO converters will open, mount, and can be used to edit files within ISO itself. If I do edit something that doesn't involve boot files then I just save then burn or extract files to media. I usually just use the ei.cfg patch and not delete it or if I extract/burn files to say DVD then I delete ei.cfg there and they always still boot fine with all three programs. Please correct me if I'm wrong guys:)

19. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
    #20 iamanoob, Mar 17, 2010