Need a confirmation regarding overclocking

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by JaguarXJ12, Nov 4, 2010.

1. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

#1 JaguarXJ12, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
    Ok the rig is up and running with the new PSU - Check

The Q9650 I have is on 3ghz default

I upgraded earlier from an E7400 2,8ghz dual core

The P43-C51 MSI motherboard I'm using have an Easy OC Switch and with that I could run the E7400 on 3,496 ~ 3,5ghz perfectly on air
    (266fsb x 10,5 = 2.8ghz default, set the switch to 333fsb and got 333fsb x 10,5 = 3,496)

The Q9650 is running 333fsb x 9 default (I guess) making it 3ghz
    So in order to overclock this processor I obviously need to change the switch to 400fsb making it 400fsb x 9 = 3,6ghz

The switch have 266fsb, 333fsb and 400fsb to choose from

Could I expect complications in doing so, can this chip handle this?

2. U-Fig

U-Fig MDL Member

May 14, 2010
    hey,

you could use the FSB to overclock manually in increments of 1 Mhz Fsb
    the 266 - 333-and 400 switches are commonly used for that kind of memory (ie 266 333 or 400 Mhz mem)what to do when your mem maxes out while overclocking is set it one step lower (ie from 400 to 333) and then again in 1 Mhz increments increase you Fsb clock

i'm sure there are enough examples found here or all over the net on how to overclock your Proc/mem en mainboard

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

#3 JaguarXJ12, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
    (OP)
    Thanks for your reply U-Fig, the truth is that I'm very in-experienced in mixing with Bios settings more then the usual changing boot sequence.
    I bought this motherboard to easily OC safely.
    But I think a chip like Q9650 should be able to handle 400, I'm uncertain though so I leave it to you the professionals.

EDIT: The motherboard supports 400/1600, checked the MSI site. And since my old E7400 could do 333/1333 I see no problems here...I guess

4. U-Fig

U-Fig MDL Member

May 14, 2010
    #4 U-Fig, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

#5 JaguarXJ12, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  6. U-Fig

U-Fig MDL Member

May 14, 2010
    in which case you can revert settings easlily,
    it,s not like you break your board/mem/cpu by overclocking it a bit too high,
    but remeber to take small steps, that way it will take some more time but generally you get better results and can really attain your MAX Stable OC

7. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Thanks U-Fig, I'll report back when I have the chance to test it out now in the weekend, right now my schedule is tight.

8. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Bad news it wouldn't boot into Windows with 400/1600 so I set the switch to default, in other words using the 3.0ghz at 333 x 9.
    I'm OK with it, the chip is far more better then my old E7400 on 2.8ghz and the computer seem to love every new hardware I have installed in the last couple of weeks.
    So now I can finally install and enjoy Force Unleashed 2 and the rest of my games.

9. U-Fig

U-Fig MDL Member

May 14, 2010
    from here you can see if you can change your 333 to 334, 335, 336 ond so on and so forth, this way you can gat your max oc
    don't change to 400 but take incremental steps from here, there should be an option to set FSB speed manually so you can use 1Mhz increments
    you could also try, and i don't know if you can change multi but if you can, 333 x 10 which gives you 3.33 Ghz wouch "should" run nicely

but nice to see that this chip works for you

10. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

I better not U-Fig, thanks anyway.
    I'm just happy everything works now, I had to replace the stock cooler and heatsink with an Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro rev.2.
    Intels stock cooler and heatsink is pure crap because the things holding it to the motherboard broke and made the cpu go from 45 degrees idle to disaster 95 degrees on max load making me shut down the computer immidiately not to damage anything, and I just said to myself WT*
    Now with the new one it's quiet and cold, 33 degrees idle and 48-55 on max load, I'm more then ok with it.

I have replaced everything in these last couple of weeks except for the motherboard and chassi, the chassi is an nice NZXT M59, it looks cool hehe.

11. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Hey U-Fig if you're still lurking around here I got some really good news. A friend came and helped and showed me how to overclock in Bios.
    I'm currently on 3.5ghz now = 389FSB
    He said I could probably squeeze some more juice of it if I'm lucky.
    When he actually showed me step by step I said to myself OMG is it that simple, sometimes it's easier when someone just show ju in real life instead of reading topics in forums.
    I finally took the leap of faith and my god, finally I can do whatever I want now hehe.

12. U-Fig

U-Fig MDL Member

May 14, 2010
    Nice boost you got there, although i think you can crank it a little more, if it becomes unstable you could try raising the v-core a little.
    one point though, you might want to upgrade your mainboard that is better suited to handle the overclocking stresses, especially when you desire to run a 24/7 overclock on your rig.
    from what i've read here and there this board's Northbridge runs a little hot, some make mantion of using a NB Fan when overclocking your CPU

do a google on your board

regards
    Fig

13. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

The thing is I finally got a rig that's up and running (After weeks of bad luck, trust me on this one).

Truth is I already have replaced my mainboard with one of the same model, I did an faulty Bios flash with a Bios update made for this boards sister so to speak (I have P43T-C51 and I flashed it with P43-C51)
    The only thing that separates these boards is DDR2 and DDR3 ram slots.

To make a long story short U-Fig, I have upgraded every piece of hardware in that rig that is possible to upgrade.

The good news is that the mainboard temperature you are talking about is actually OK, I check and double check it regulary.
    In fact all temperatures is very good, the new CPU Heatsink/Fan and the two new Noctua casefans makes a tremendous job cooling.

I have my sight on a little higher overclock, but I'll take it later on.
    Right now I just want to enjoy it for a while, but I'll definately go for 3.6 or 3.7 in the future.