Need a hand - hardware issue or something like a bios virus?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by mirin, Apr 8, 2012.

1. mirin

mirin MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2012
    #1 mirin, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
    Hey guys, first post on this board

I've got this cheapo Toshiba C655 laptop that had a bad HD. I found an older one out of an HP I used to have and popped it in. I was reading one of our Win 7 Ult threads and found it interesting.

So a fresh OS install later everything seemed to work fine for a day or so, installed all of the updates, antivirus, etc. Then at some point yesterday the system started lagging bad and froze, if it makes any difference I just fired up the Media player for the first time to sync it and just just finished going over the Office 2010 thread here.

A force restart later and I can't get past the boot screen. It lags bad and either goes straight into the repair process which does nothing or just sits there trying to load windows. Even hitting F8 works maybe 25% of the time and if I choose Safe Mode it hangs up loading it. Plugging in the USB drive I used to install the OS gives me a "BOOTMGR is missing, do the 3 finger salute" message? The files weren't touched.

Opened her up and pulled the battery, only now I see the Toshiba screen with your BIOS options (oh yeah, it was all blank before) but it doesn't change anything.

Could this HD be failing too? BIOS? If so how can I reflash it?

So what would you do next? What can I try? I'm not a complete noob but here.... ok ok...let's say I'm a total noob in this crowd.

If it helps it's a Tosh c655-s5082

Thanks,

G

Happy Easter

2. mirin

mirin MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2012

3. mirin

mirin MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2012
    Came back to say thanks again, a new hdd is going in later today.

I think I'll hang around here for a while :cool: