Need advice / help: Upgraded from Win 7, Now MSA pwd asked at each boot.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bluescreen, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    In short :
    I have upgraded a legit Windows 7 Ultimate today to Win10. Keep nothing . All ok.

This Win7 had No MS account to log in. I am the only owner.
    After upgrade, I could boot with my old username without problem.
    Later, I want to try Cortana... Seems to be mandatory to have an MSA to use it. I could not get rid of the "offer" to create one. So I did make a new MSA.
    After installing some applications, I need to reboot...What a surprise ! At login My username disapeared and in place I see my MS Account and asking for pwd.

Is there a way to log in as before ? Do I need to be all time connected to an MSA ?
    I don't care Onedrive, I manage my backup myself. It was just to play a while with cortana. Don't have a big use too.
    Is there a way to go back ?
    thanks for any advice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Open the Run dialog, and type in netplwiz, click OK. Uncheck "Users must e‚Äčnter a user name and password to use this computer." Click OK, and follow directions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bluescreen

Jul 16, 2009
    I will do that right now. :)

4. Bluescreen

Jul 16, 2009
    Did not work finally .. I applied the changes, but seems my old Username is gone for good. I did not see it when launching netpliwz.
    At reboot an log in , I am still asked with name of MSA and asked for pwd. :(

5. lunario

lunario MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2012
    you need to choose the msa username in netplwiz and the corresponding password . your local account is not there anymore

6. Bluescreen

Jul 16, 2009
    I made it working using settings > manage accounts... etc
    Got my old name back and lo in with a local account loosing nothing. :)
    (I still have the choice to login with MSA ).
    Thanks for your help and patience.

7. lunario

lunario MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2012
    yes you can switch local to msa at anytime just remember to put your msa username and password in netplwiz to be able to autologon using a Microsoft account