Need Assistance with Clean Install of Windows 8.1 on W8.1 OEM Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by hjlbx, Mar 10, 2015.

1. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015
    #1 hjlbx, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    Hello,

I am preparing to clean install W8.1. Right now I'm just gathering everything I need before I proceed. This process may take a week or so before I can complete everything due to lack of available time.

I have a Toshiba OEM W8.1 that is nothing but trouble.

It has reached the point of last resort - which is a clean install of W8.1.

I have read the great guides here at MDL, but I need guidance from those with more knowledge and experience than I ... as I have that nagging feeling that this process is going to be problematic.

I have already obtained the W8.1 Core ISO using the Windows mediacreationtool.exe (onto NTFS formatted USB flash drive).

I also extracted the OEM W8.1 Key.

Windows Script Host.PNG

I still have questions regarding drivers.

My system is AMD and I have noticed it has been widely reported on other forums that because of driver issues people cannot clean install Windows...or that their PC does not function correctly after a clean install of Windows. AMD systems seem to be very problematic.

I do not know how to proceed regarding drivers.

I use SlimDrivers to back-up all drivers.

Thank You.

2. UTDKING

UTDKING MDL Junior Member

Oct 26, 2012
    to obtain the correct drivers for your system you can do either of the options listed below

1.Obtain them via the Toshiba website
    Or
    2. with some software prog there or many online Do a backup of the system drivers on a usb flash drive before you wipe the system
    (I prefer double driver portable)
    Hope that helps

3. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015
    #3 hjlbx, Mar 10, 2015
    (OP)
    Already problem ... and haven't even left the yard yet. What's new, right?

Thank you for your reply, but Double Driver does not function correctly on my W8.1 system:

Double Driver.PNG

If I use another driver backup software:

Do I back-up all drivers - or only non-Microsoft?

Do I install drivers before or after clean install of W8.1?

If I use driver restore software where do I install it (on USB with W8.1 ISO?)?

Thank You.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Did you start with Admin rights? You might need to do that to see everything.

5. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015
    #5 hjlbx, Mar 10, 2015
    (OP)
    Yes. I ran as an Administrator.

Tried downloading from different sites, signed-in as Administrator, used UAC "Run as Administrator."

Does not work properly on my W8.1 system.

Will have to use some other driver backup / restore software - I already use SlimWare's SlimDrivers, but I know there are many others.

If anyone can offer advice, please see my questions regarding driver back-up and restore on my previous post in this thread.

6. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    #6 ZaForD, Mar 10, 2015
    There are a number of programs that claim to be backup the drivers from a working system. Personally I've not ever had complete success with any of the ones I've tried on Windows 7 or 8.x

My advice would be to go to the support section of the Toshiba website, and use the search tool to find the drivers for your exact laptop 'Model' and download them all.

As for AMD/ATI drivers yes they can be a pain, I find its the crap they add in with the drivers that cause the trouble. While it maybe helpful for 'Highend' gaming GFX cards. I don't see the point of it on low powered laptop GFX chips.

What I do with AMD/ATI drivers is:
    1. Download the driver from the manufactures site (Toshiba in this case)
    2. Extract the downloaded file with WinRAR or 7zip
    3. Goto Device Manager -> Display Adapters ->Update Driver Software and browse to the extracted driver folder.

This usually to installs the drivers without any of the AMD/ATI crap

A few more things to watch out for,
    1. With a laptop this new DON'T use a USB drive formatted with NTFS for the install.
    The laptop will almost definitely be a UEFI BIOS system which can't boot from an NTFS USB drive.
    I use diskpart to create FAT32 USB install drives others seem to like Rufus. Again don't use the Official MS tool as it creates an NTFS formatted drive.

2. You will probably also need to enter the UEFI/BIOS and switch off 'secure boot' or switch on 'legacy mode' as its termed on my HP.
    The idea of this is to stop Apps/Programs from rewriting your boot files. Which is what you need to do to get your laptop to boot after the OS is installed.
    If you need to do change this, remember to change it back after you've finished

3. Install ALL drivers and ANY features (i.e. .Net 3.5) before you do Windows updates.
    This won't cut down the amount of updates you'll need to install, but it will speed it up a little by not having to update things twice.

Good Luck ;)

7. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Exactly what I do..sound advice ZaforD

8. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015
    Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

1. The reason why I formatted USB flash as NTFS is because on other sites it is stated must use NTFS with UEFI.

2. Other sites (even here at MDL) make no mention of disabling Secure Boot/UEFI with W8.1... 1st time I'm learning this.

Do I have to include driver backup / restore software on same USB containing W8.1 ISO?

Should I back-up and re-install all drivers - or just non-Microsoft?

Is there a procedure that must be followed when restoring drivers?

This is a project that is going to end up with an unbootable system...I know it as so many problems are widely reported.

In that case, do I need a Windows PE or Bart PE live disk?

9. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015
    Thank you for your reply.

So just download non-Microsoft drivers from Toshiba?

In other words, do not bother using driver backup software to save copies of existing installed drivers?

Downloads from Toshiba site have built-in installer?

Apologize for so many questions, but if this screws up I have access to no other PC.

10. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    1. if you used the download site to download directly to USB the stick will be correctly formatted for you.
    2. not tecnicaly needed, but it wont hurt and if there is troubble that will sicumvent it and you wont even know there was a hickup.

Dont backup drivers. Not worth the hassle. Just redownload from Toshiba and reinstall afterwards.
    Those extra files can be on any media. Not neccesarilly on the install USB media.

No. Just plug the install USB back in and choose repair.

/Rab

11. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    Yupp. Easiest route.

Drivers from OEM vendors almost always is installers.

/Rab.

12. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015
    I used Windows mediacreationtool.exe which downloaded directly to USB. When I click on Drive letter and select Properties it shows as FAT32.

So you are correct ... you got credibility ! :D

Can't find that too often.

13. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    You coud do a factory reset if you dont mind the bloatware that comes installef from factory.
    Search for recovery or factory reset in start and it ought to show the way (F11 is a common key for this at boot).

There might even be alternatives for keeping your files and settings if youre lucky.

/Rab

14. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    Just did this whole thing the other night... thats why i know this... :)

15. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015

I have problem with randomly freezing cursor...sometimes it is really bad. Have tried many, many, many suggested fixes from sysnative.com, thewindowsclub.com, eightforums.com, etc, etc, etc.

I've done everything I think that is possible ... so now I have to at least give this a try.

If it doesn't fix the issue either then I can always re-install OEM version using restore media ... is that not correct?

16. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I don't know sites you've looking at, but to my knowledge NTFS has never worked with UEFI systems :confused:
    As I said its something to look out for, as I had to do it on my new HP.

No, all you need is the Windows 8.1 ISO 'converted' to a bootable USB drive. Although you can add the download drivers to a folder on the USB drive, so you know where there are.

Again I'd download them from Toshiba, it will save you a whole lot of pain.

The man reason people hit problems is because they don't prepare properly. BUT if your really unsure about doing this, take it to someone to do for you. And ask if you can watch what they do. ;)

17. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    And one last thing... the missing driver, if you like me have one, is most likely Intel Smart Connect drivers... Dont like those drivers...
    PNP doesnt always recognize em

/Rab

18. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015
    Hello ZaForD,

I can do it ... I am just trying to prepare properly by asking help from those that know. :biggrin:

How does the original OEM boot partition get deleted ... just follow procedure outlined in Rab's guide?

19. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015
    My system is AMD ...

PNP ???