Need Asus Q200e (x202e) bios dump for reprogram chip to erase password

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by whitejohnny, Jun 8, 2014.

1. whitejohnny

whitejohnny MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2010
    Hi All, always glad to be here, great site, great people!

Today I'm working on an Asus Vivobook Q200e - x202e with a power-on bios password. Having googled a bit and not found an easy way to reset the password, I decided to reprogram the bios chip, but all of the bios downloads are .cap files and I'm not familiar with the format. Several threads I've read have suggested cutting out the header and saving the rest as a .bin, but I haven't been able to identify where the header ends.

So I was wondering if anyone here has one of these notebooks and can provide me a bios dump? Or knows how to get a bin out of this cap.

Thanks for taking the time to try and help, you all are appreciated!

2. whitejohnny

whitejohnny MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2010
    hmmm, much googlin'... UEFITOOL! Ok, so I used the tool to extract a rom file, which is 2k less than the file. 6megs is an odd size, but whatever. I'll dump the chip first so I can at least get back to the 'known state'. Hopefully the password area is in the main SPI and not the EC flash.

On a side note, has anyone used PonyProg to do spi chips before? I've been using a Rayer programmer, but DOS is.. well, DOS. And I have an XP mobo that I keep around for clearing Thinkpad supervisor passwords so I'd rather be able to do it all from there. Plus with the newer Dell Latitudes since Dogbert isn't releasing new master pw generator tools it would be sweet if I could just dump the images, neuter and reload. Yes, we get a lot of off lease, EOL gear thats still perfectly fine for the consumer level, but the admins of the companies just can't be bothered to remove their bios pw.

3. jes152003

jes152003 MDL Novice

May 5, 2012
    this is how you remove password
    1.dump original bios with spi programer PonyProg will work.
    2.open dumped bios with hex editor.
    3.move to 0x60 offset.(it should be first couple lines.)
    4.type 00 00 FF FF 00 00 FF FF 18 01 FF FF
    5.then save file.
    6.now take your modified dump and spi programer and flash it the chip.
    password reset

4. whitejohnny

whitejohnny MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2010
    Yah, that's kinda of what I was thinking I would be doing, but - does BIOS revision make a difference here? And are we changing an area used to store the password, or patching some code so it jumps past the password check?
    Not that I don't appreciate your answer; I just want to understand what I'll be doing.

5. Pockets69

Pockets69 MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2014
    whitejohny i own an asus vivobook s200 (which is the european equivalent for the x202e, i belive) i can get you my bios dump if you want, just reply here, and ill post it somewhere if you still need it.

6. whitejohnny

whitejohnny MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2010
    Sure I'll take that!
    Please let me know what revision its from too.
    If you need me to do anything for you to post it let me know.
    Thanks Pockets69!

I've heard that on Asus laptops the bios master password is a hash of the bios date. Has anybody heard of that?

7. lincolnleitao

lincolnleitao MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    Hello friends, I am new here and I have the same doubts, I have a Asus Vivo Book X202E produced in Brazil.
    I forgot the power-on BIOS password and now can not even turn on the notebook.
    I read that it is possible to reset the password using some code but do not know what would this code, can someone help me?

8. whitejohnny

whitejohnny MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2010
    hey, hoping i could get that bios from you...

Hey, must've missed ya, could you send it to me?
    neighborhoodsupport at gmail if you want to zip and attach to email.