Need Bios Password for client ASAP

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by xshellacx, Apr 8, 2014.

1. xshellacx

xshellacx MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    Hello Forum.

First off, thank you for the resource.

I have a small computer repair shop and have run into a problem I can't seem to get around. A client of mine brought in a laptop he needs a HD replaced on, problem is that I cant boot from the CD. The bios has been modified to not allow the laptop to boot from anything other than the HD, and of course the owner has no clue what the password is.

Model is latitude e6410
    Service Tag # 401GVM1
    express service tag is 8709596425

Any help will be much appreciated

JP

2. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    You could take the new HDD, plug it into a computer you can boot to. Install their OS and then sysprep/generalize it- then place that HDD in the laptop, boot, and then setup. No need to get the password.

Now, if you WANT to remove the password then that could be harder. You cannot just get the current password afaik but you can attempt to remove it. It usually involves disassembling the laptop. First check to see if that laptop has a cmos jumper, if so then remove the battery, and short out the jumper while pressing a holding the power button.
    If that doesn't work or there is no jumper, id opt for removing the cmos battery via soldering. Then draining the power by pressing and holding the power button.
    Some laptops store the password in the nvram or w/e its called and isn't removable via these methods and require OEM assistance or other.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  4. gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro MDL Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Put HDD into other PC,install grub4dos by example,put back HDD into laptop boot from HDD.

Command line or configured into menu.lst option to boot from CD.
    Or add plop iso to HDD and add entry for that into menu.lst

Depend of variant you can boot from CD or even USB.

Simple,no need more time waste for password.