Need DISM/ESD help...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mstreck, Dec 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mstreck

mstreck MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2010
    DISM newbie here... I'm trying to repair an offline Win 10 Pro build 17134.165 after fixing a corrupted drive that affected files in the Windows folder (registry wasn't affected). Windows will boot, but gives me a black screen after logging in.

SFC fails and /CheckHealth tells me that I need to do some repairs.

I took a 17134 ESD, exported every index to a WIM, mounted and updated every index in the WIM with KBKB4338819 (17134.165) , then unmounted/committed the changes, and used the updated WIM to try to /RestoreHealth.

That should get me what I need, correct? But DISM log file keeps telling me that the payload can't be found. I am assuming the affected files would be in the updated WIM. I tried every index in the WIM, too. All were failed attempts.

Can anyone tell me what I may have missed? Or something else that I could try?

Thank you!

Mike

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    To properly convert an ESD to ISO, use ESD>ISO v40 by @abbodi1406.

3. mstreck

mstreck MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2010
    Thank you! I just tried it - converted to a WIM and now have a script running to mount and update all of the indices. This process will take a while, so I will try to /RestoreHealth tomorrow and will report back! Thank you!

4. mstreck

mstreck MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2010
    I was finally able to try it. Still didn't work "as is," but I mounted the WIM and that did the trick!

Thank you for the help!