Need explanation about KMS

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by AnarethoS, Jan 18, 2011.

1. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi everyone!

Can anyone help me? I need help to understand KMS/Volume Activation for Windows 7/2008R2.

Here is the procees I understand. Can anyone confirm?
    1- You actiave you KMS server with a M$ key. The server will validate over the Internet to M$ servers which will send back an activation code to the KMS server
    2- Clients, using KMS key to the KMS server (found using DNS or hard-codded with SLMGR)
    3- When threshold are met, the KMS server will generate the activation key and send it back to the client computers.

But, while discutting with one of my coworker, he told me differents things. He told me :
    1- The KMS server will activate online with M$
    2- The KMS servers will wait for 25 (threshold) activation request and will SEND theses request to M$.
    3- M$ will send back an activation key unique to each of the 25 requests and the KMS will follow it to each corresponding clients
    4- M$ will keep track of the numbers of computers you hava activated for each products allowes through KMS
    5- The KMS key used on the client computer is unique to our company

Here are the questions :
    1- Does the KMS server generate the activation by itself OR does it send a request to Microsoft servers and send back the activation key to the clients?

2- Does the KMS server sent back report usage to M$ servers or they do not report at all (except first activation) to M$ servers?

3- Is the KMS key (used on clients computer) the same everywhere OR does it change for each company?

4- Where can I find more details about that?

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I'm definitely not an authority, but from all evidence I've ever seen since KMS began with Vista, the KMS Server ALONE activates the clients. That's the beauty. This is why you can use a VMWare Workstation installation image of a KMS Server and use that to activate via KMS from a client over the virtual (or a real) network. Of course there's easier ways, but...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
  4. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    #4 AnarethoS, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
    (OP)
    Thanks! It confirm what I thought :D

But, there is just a few thigs I need to know.

1) Since KMS server does not call home or report any licenses usage to M$, how does M$ do to "know" how much licenses you are using to charge the good amount of $$$? "Trust-based" ?

2) My coworker still maintain "his" version, saying that the KMS call home to M$ to report the licenses usage/computer key. That is true for MAK Proxies, but not for KMS, right?