Need help about OS Architecture!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Dr AMD, Aug 3, 2016.

?

Which OS Architecture would you suggest !

1. x32

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. x64

15 vote(s)
    93.8%
  1. Dr AMD

Dr AMD MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2011

> What is the value of installing Win 10 x64 on a PC, Specially when it has only 4 or 6 GB of RAM ?

> Most of my programs [#ALL] are x32 arch and I do not use large files up to 1 GBs yet I use many programs at the same time.

> Am I going Right or Wrong choice if I turned into x32 OS and save my hardware resources for more useful processes ?

> I need some detailed help about what effective disadvantages due to downgrade from x64 to x32 > specially performance and stability !

2. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Unless you're creating a RAM Disk or something, what's the point of having more than 4GB RAM if you're only going to use a 32-bit client (i.e. non-server) version of Windows? Read the 3 GB Barrier article on Wikipedia if you want a quick overview.

3. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
  4. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    In theory, a 64-bit OS is more secure since it was re-written, since 16-bit routines are not executed and 32-bit routines are emulated Windows On Windows. The ancient virus does not run on the system. But this is not a big deal.

Another reason is quite simple: 64-bit is the new standard for production code. Get used to it. The trend is 32-bit applications disappear.

Another reason: 64-bit you can use optimized code for new processors and have more performance.

Another reason: you have more RAM available for your programs.

If you have less than 4GB, really, from experience, use a 64-bit OS is much suffering. I used Windows Home Basic 64-bit 2GB ram for a long time ... it's terrible! But with more than 4GB there is no doubt: run only 64-bit.

cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. zegra

zegra MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2014
    #5 zegra, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    1. 4 or 6 GB of RAM?!! Then you SHOULD use a 64-bit version of windows, not to mention that your video card's memory is also addressed by windows. If you use a 32-bit version, you're throwing away memory.

2. Irrelevant. If you have at least 4 GB of RAM, you should use a 64-bit OS.

3. Wrong. What resources?

4. There is no downgrade, unless the developer of a program didn't code his/her 64-bit program properly, which isn't much of a problem nowadays, since the huge majority of developers properly code for 64-bit.

Now, if you had less than 4 GB in total, meaning system RAM + video memory, and you don't use any 64-bit programs, then yes, a 32-bit windows would make sense.

P.S. We can read text fine. You don't need to increase the size and make it bold like that.

6. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

i use 7 64bit with 4gb ram, no pagefile, it runs well enough for everyday tasks, sony sound forge and vegas, dvd maker. though i would say 4 is a bit tight, i had a low budget at the time and would use 8gb for some headroom incase my ram needs expand later on.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    I would install x64 on any computer since Windows 8.1 and x86 on any bellow, I have x64 on laptop with 1,75GB of usable RAM, it is definitely worth it. The performance impact between x86 and x64 is negligible.