Need help after the update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lievre, Sep 23, 2016.

1. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    #1 lievre, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    Hi

Last night my computer update to version 1607 and since then, nothing is working. Task bar store, nothing happen if i click on it, control center bottom right not working, store don't work, cannot open any picture with the default program etc.
    So i did the sfc /scannow and found nothing
    Run the Windows store troubleshooter. STill not working

Also tried the power shell command (powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode
    -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml) and put it back (start "" "ms-windows-store:") but i had this error see the picture

Lievre

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    May you'll have to do a clean install!! Update your data first should be the first step!

You could also try to do a manually update again by using a ISO of the same build. Mount the ISO from within the running Windows, start Setup after mounting and chose Update. Such update will need quite some time, even maybe hours, if it could be done! If you get an Error and the update is refused, you'll have to a clean install anyway!

Also check: Is the windows still activated after you'd done the update??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Before an update, Windows creates a System Restore Point. Use that to bring your system back to working condition and let the update retry. If the same, repeat the restore and turn off WU (may need a hack) till you figure out what to do.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    It makes no sense to waste time with anything other than to make as soon as possible an entirely new and clean installation.
    Before to this is recommended also restore the BIOS to the default settings.
    There is obvious that the Windows corrupted and none restore point cannot help you in any way because if there is some of them, most probably it is also damaged.

5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    If restoring the system doesn't work and you have to do a clean installation, it would be advisable to run a disk check before, because if any bad sectors are to blame, the new installation is a waste of time.

chkdsk /f C

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    This can be done only if you have an old HDD, if have SSD, clearly not recommended(!).

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Not recommended a chkdsk? o_O

8. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Checking the disk for errors shouldn't be confused with defragmenting, which indeed shouldn't be performed on SSDs.

But in my opinion, chkdsk can also be run on HDDs. I don't think it will do any harm, and I've seen claims that it has helped. Of course, chkdsk should only be performed (on any disk) if there is suspicion of a problem and not unnecessarily. In this case, there is such suspicion, since WU shouldn't have caused the problems described, and it's reasonable to suspect there might be some hardware error, on disk or memory.

9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Yes it can be done only on HDD disk, You're absolutely right. But even, if You very much want, not possible on SSD, but there may be some older SSDs, where controolers cannot do, what is needed and these SSDs may die after such a torture.
    So has been happened and also in this forum it has been discussion not very long ago. I cannot understand, how people cannot understand, that HDD and SSD are absolutely different things. There is nothing the same and that's why cannot be used the same methods and functions.

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #10 LatinMcG, Sep 24, 2016
    all i see so far is no good help. :death:
    chkdsk /f can be ran fine on ssd

boot safemode via ctrl alt del> file> new task> msconfig> boot tab> safeboot and network checked.

run windows repair tool portable from tweaking.com (download mirror at majorgeeks) and u cant dload it via edge in safemode.. use internet explorer or chrome or firefox.
    run it as defaults in the repair section.

when its done(40 mins average on ssd, 1hour+ on hdd) and u reboot.. tell me if it works or not. ;)
    if it doesnt work run mediacreationtool windows 10 to re upgrade and its fixed.

permissions corruption didnt let win 10 upgrade 100%

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #11 T-S, Sep 24, 2016

I think you have understood very little about both SSDs and chkdsk.

#1 Chkdsk is an universal tool. You can run it on any kind of disk. You should run it every few months to avoid that a small logic error leads to a biger one over time. You MUST run it whenever you have a doubt about the FS health. No matter the kind of your disk

#2 The SSD wearing is hugely overrated, and is based uniquely on users who keep repeating the same sentence over and over since the days of the SSD introduction and they never tested personally how robust an SSD is.

But even if the SSD wearing was a problem the wearing happens on WRITINGS! And the checkdisk process is basically a read only process. Writings happens only if some actual errors are present, and they will be pretty limited.

Even a completely messed FS leads to relatively limited writings, which occurs basically to MFT, file allocation table or whatever file your FS uses to keep track of the physical files placement.

In short discouraging the use of chkdsk, for whatever reason, and on any kind of disk is just completely pointless.

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    to add to that.. if pc ram is bad chkdsk /f will find all kinds of issues and read/write the fix (which is wrong due to bad ram) causing the os failure.

ssd with bad firmware can cause problems too.

13. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Indeed, I mentioned the possibility of bad hardware memory in my previous post. It follows that ram should also be checked. This can be done while the computer is working, but it's more reliable if done offline.

14. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    #14 lievre, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    (OP)
    I did a system restore to the previous Windows version and everything is back to normal..... for now

But this update will comeback ...

the chkdsk /f did not find any error

Thank you guys.

Lievre

15. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Glad for you. So it was just a matter of the much neglected system restore, that was shot down as soon as I mentioned it.

Indeed the update will come back, and there is a reason why it failed. One possibility is that the WU didn’t find the system as it expected it, due to changes effected by scripts or third party system-modifying tools. So it’s worthwhile trying to think if any such changes were made. Exclude any changes made by using on-board facilities.