Need help asap on install right now...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FattysGoneWild, Feb 2, 2012.

1. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I done a "clean install" on my new HP. So I think? Mine came with a ssd and hdd. I unplugged the hdd during install. On the ssd during install. I deleted the partitions including the recovery portion. Since I had made the discs already. But, after I deleted the partitions. I created a new one with the ssd and hit next. Was I suppose to select "format" after creating the new partition? I did not do that assuming deleted the earlier partitions was enough. So not sure if I am up creek and need another reinstall since I missed a possible extremely important step? Please help... I am sitting here right now not knowing what to do install wise if I need another or not. Another reason why I am asking this. Between drivers, window updates and a few programs. It has taken up 30gb. My ssd is 160gb. I have another system with a 500gb hdd similar to the new system software wise. And it is only using 21gb.

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    it is probably keeping you old install (windows.old), you can chop that up ,possibly 10GB there depending on what u had. You should be alright

3. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    I forgot to mention that. I do not see or have a windows.old folder? I also found this quote while googling my problem in the mean time.

Sorry fella, i might have been a little bit vague. In my experience of install countless Vista PCs/Laptops & now Windows 7 when I delete the primary partition (only ever worked with 1 partition so far) as soon as the new 1 is added i find no need to format as Windows already sees it as primary & formatted.

Additional: This is all from within the Windows setup program

So it seems when you create a new partition and it is the primary. It formats it automatically?

4. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
  5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    1. Create new partition > Primary > Not formatted automatically

2. Create new partition > Primary > Install Windows > Formatted automatically

6. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    IMO, you're unnecessarily worrying. Are you able to use windows normally on the ssd? You can click on Start button, type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter. That'll show the existing partitions.

As for space usage, 30gigs with windows and all apps installed isnt a big deal. You can reclaim some space by deleting temp files, updates installers in C:\windows\softwaredistribution\download folder once the updates are installed etc.

7. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    #7 FattysGoneWild, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    (OP)
    Thank you guys. Looks like I will be okay.

Tito,

Option #2 is what I done. I was stressing for nothing! :/

I am still curious though. Why is it on my other system. It is only taking 21gb with everything loaded? But, on my new system with my ssd. Its taking up more. That is why I thought the install went bad for me or I missed something.

8. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    I also forgot to mention this. After doing the updates and installing drivers. I made a back up to my second drive. Here is the interesting part. It only took up 16gb! So where did my extra space go on the ssd? I cant account for 10gb or even more missing. Total size of programs installed is 649mb. So yes. I am missing quite a bit on my ssd not counted for? According to the backup. Windows 7 installed with all updates, drivers and my programs. Should have only taken about 17gb! Yet 30gb is taken?!?