Need help clearing service tag in Dell GX745 and GX755 desktops

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kingedwards, May 29, 2010.

1. kingedwards

kingedwards MDL Junior Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I am working with a large quantity of both these model desktops. As part of the agreement with the original owner we had to shred the hard drives and are supposed to remove all asset and service tags. I have svctag.exe version 3.2 and version A28 and neither of these seem to work on this model. In fact these model desktops are the only ones I have come across that do not work with these disk. I already tried the cmos jumper and left the power unplugged and the battery out for a few days and this did not work. Anyone have any other suggestions?

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    svctag also does NOT work on Optiplex 330 & above

Did you try asset /s
    That should write "empty" service tag

The /s option is not documented in asset help, but worked on OP330 I tried

Seb

3. kingedwards

Mar 17, 2010
    When exactly do I type that? When I load the svctag software it errors out and exits itself.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    You do NOT use svctag, you use asset.com instead

sebus

5. kingedwards

Mar 17, 2010
    Ahh ok, I will give it a try and let you know Tuesday.

6. kingedwards

Mar 17, 2010
    I can't seem to find this "asset.com" that you are talking about. Any links?

7. kingedwards

Mar 17, 2010
    Nevermind, I found the asset software right on the Dell website. I had to load it to floppy, but it worked like a charm. Thanks for the suggestion.

8. kingedwards

Mar 17, 2010
    For those interested the program can be found at http://ftp.dell.com/utility/.
    The program is named Z8314R14.exe.
    The following is complete instructions on how to use it.

Asset Tag Utility
    The Asset Tag utility allows you to enter an asset tag number for your computer and reenter, if necessary, the computer's service tag number. Both numbers are entered into NVRAM, from which they become viewable on the System Setup screens.
    The procedure for installing the Asset Tag utility is the same as for all the system utilities. If the path statement in your autoexec.bat file does not contain the directory in which you installed the Asset Tag utility, modify the path statement to include that directory.
    Using the Asset Tag Utility
    After you install the Asset Tag utility, you can use it to enter or change an asset tag number that you or your company assign to the computer.
    Use the asset command from the system prompt. To view existing asset and service tag numbers, type

asset
    and press <ENTER>.
    Assigning/Deleting an Asset Tag Number
    An asset tag number can have up to 10 characters; any combination of characters excluding spaces is valid. To assign or change an asset tag number, type

asset
    and then a space followed by the new number; then press <ENTER>. For example:

asset 1234567890
    <ENTER> When the system asks ...

Are you sure? [y,n],
    type

y
    and press <ENTER>. The system then displays the new or modified asset tag number as well as the service tag number.
    To delete the asset tag number without assigning a new one, type

asset /d

Asset Tag Option Description

/d Deletes tag

/s Applies change to service tag

/? Displays the Asset Tag help screen

Reentering a Service Tag Number

Before your system was shipped, the 5-digit number from the service tag on the back of your computer was entered into NVRAM. If you need to reenter the service tag number, type

asset /s
    and then a space followed by the service tag number.