Need help cloning XP from a P3 system to a P4 system.

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by MarkJohnson, Feb 28, 2013.

1. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I need to figure out a way to clone my P3 PATA hdd to a P4 sata hdd.

The customer wants the system exactly like it was on the P3 system and I can't get it the same. I tried files and settings transfer wizard and not enough gets through.

She has lost a lot of CDs that I can't reinstall certain software and newer version I have found confuse her.

I tried cloning once, but the system just blue screened. Before I used to be able to put a clone on a different motherboard and XP would boot saying it was on the wrong sysem and go into trial mode and give me 3-days to activate with a new key.

I think SP3 changed this and now it just blue screens and I'm unable to use the old boot image. Is there any work around? I know I've been able to do this on XP SP3 and newer Windows OSes if I didn't activate windows.

Any ideas welcome
    -=Mark=-
    ps. both systems have XP Home X86

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You will probably need to try something like acronis trueimage with universal restore that can do bare metal restore it will be probably blue screening due to the fact you don't have Motherboard drivers or sata drivers installed. Or clone the drive but get her windows installation key first from P3 system and get a hold of an xp home cd and do a repair installation.

3. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I did use Acronis True Image 2012. maybe 2013, not sure. I didn't try repair though, so maybe that will work.

Both machines have their own key on the outside of the machine.

I never had issues with drivers before, at least for booting, once to the desktop drivers were searched for and installed.

-=Mark=-