Need help getting auto rotation working on clean install of Win8.1u1 on CUBE iWork8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Phil_123, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Phil_123

Phil_123 MDL Novice

May 22, 2008
    I bought the CUBE iWork8 tablet which came preinstalled with Windows 8.1 Update with Bing CountrySpecific (zh-CN). I couldn't stand the language, so I backuped the drivers with Double Driver, then built a clean WimBoot wim image with the excellent instructions in murphy78's thread "Windows 8.1 Update 1 WimBOOT discussion".

I injected all the drivers into the image before the /Optimize-Image /WimBoot phase. All except the "IWD Bus Enumerator" driver failed, but I had seen problems with having more than one "IWD Bus Enumerator" listed in Device Manager before, so I ignored it.

Finally I got the image booting on the tablet, everything seems to be working, with no unknown devices listed in Device Manager. The system does not seem to think the device is capable of auto-rotation, however, there is no auto-rotation lock in the Settings menu of the Charms bar. I tried starting the Sensor Monitoring Service, disabling and re-enabling the accelerometer (Kionix KXCJ9) in Device Manager then rebooting, but still they could not get the auto-rotation feature back.

Many search results on Google gave me solutions for other devices from other OEMs (Lenovo, Asus, HP, Acer, etc.) which involve reinstalling the latest drivers or settings software from the OEM's support website, which are non-existent for the iWork8.

What else can I try to get auto-rotation working? If all else fails, the only way I can think of is restoring to the original image and trying to do an in-place upgrade to a normal version of Windows 8, then capturing the image from there, but it is extremely hard if not impossible to do with only ~6GB of free space left in the C: drive.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    In simple words: "You got what you paid for!" (no offence meaning!!)!

Everything on that Tab is on the low(est) end and I mean EVERYTHING! Also Cube didn't has an good reputation (in Thailand) about their products!

For to solve your problem with Auto-Rotation, it could be just the Driver and also the chip set used for it because of compatibility to Windows systems or x86 systems. Fact is that the Tab manufacturers doing driver and system modification just for some (most sold) languages and even some languages are not supported at all! MS isn't to blame on that at all, the Manufacturer is!

Check also on XDA Forum for some solution! Slatedroid, an other big Tablet Forum are not good for Windows system, they're excellent for Android!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Phil_123

Phil_123 MDL Novice

May 22, 2008
    I finally did it! Getting the display language to change is much simpler than I thought. I reverted back to the original factory image, and used the Add features to Windows 8.1 feature in Control Panel to apply a generic Windows 8.1 Core key, and a reboot later, the language restriction is gone!

4. artizx

artizx MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2014
    Hi Phil_123, I am appreciated if you can share you experience with this Cube iWork8 on working with Microsoft Office. I am interesting in getting one for my VBA macro program in Excel. If it can smoothly run the Excel VBA macro then it will help me a lot comparing to my daily carrying heavy laptop. Thanks

5. Frankies

Frankies MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2014
    help

Hi Phil_123, could you please give me some more details, how you could add a core key.... thanx frankies...