Need Help Getting Both Drives Back Into EFI Drive BBS Priorities

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by hjlbx, May 5, 2017.

1. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015
    • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    • MSI CLICK BIOS 5
    • TOSHIBA HDD
    • SanDisk SSD
    How do I get both drives to list in the boot order menu in the EFI again ?

1. When I first received my system, the MSI CLICK BIOS 5 Boot\UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities looked like
    this:
    • I had two boot drive options in EFI - 1st Toshiba HDD and 2nd SanDisk SSD (Windows installed on both)
    • Windows installed to both drives
    • Windows would boot normally to the lock screen
    • If I wanted to switch drive boot, I would just change the order in the EFI boot order priorities
    WP_20170505_001.jpg

2. I clean installed Windows onto both the SanDisk SSD and then the Toshiba HDD. Now the MSI CLICK BIOS 5
    Boot\UEFI Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities look like this:
    • The Toshiba HDD is not in the EFI boot order priorities
    • Whichever drive I install Windows to first, is the only drive that will appear in the EFI boot order priorities
    • Windows installed to both drives
    WP_20170505_004.jpg

3. When I boot into Windows now, after clean installing Windows to each drive, I get this:

WP_20170505_002.jpg

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    When you re-installed Windows you should have disconnected the 2nd drive.
    Try disconnecting the sandisk, boot into winpe (uefi mode) & run bcdboot ?:\windows (where ? is your windows drive letter)...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015
    Thanks for your reply Flipp3r...

There is no way to correct this without having to disconnect the drives and reinstalling windows ?

I am not understanding boot into winpe. Do you mean boot into EFI (MSI calls theirs a BIOS) ?

How would I run bcdboot in the EFI ?

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Boot your install dvd, press shift-f3 for command prompt & run the command from there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015
    I do not have a install dvd, but instead just the Win 10 installer created using the Windows Media Creation Tool. This will work too ?

I must disconnect the SSD; there is no way to do this without opening the case and disconnecting the drive ?

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Hi bro. :)

Guess the MCT did a USB stick right? If so it might work.

Yes open the case and disconnect it.

7. hjlbx

hjlbx MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2015
    Yes, I used MCT to create the USB installer.

Thanks Mr X. Hardware\boot stuff not my thing exactly. For me it's a learn-as-you-go kind of thing... :confused: -> MyDigitalLife -> :D

8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Hope you tell us how everything went...

9. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Um, I said shift+f3 but I think it's Shift+F10 for command prompt. Boot your usb & find out!!!