[NEED HELP] I want to make a "thing" (I don't know the proper name of what this is..)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by maximus.pt, Jan 25, 2013.

1. maximus.pt

maximus.pt MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2013
    Hey people!

I have a litle brother, and almost every month he manages to destroy/infect his pc.
    So I thinked in a solution for it, but I have no ideia how to do this, so that's the why.

The what:

I have used backtrack, and I noticed how I could use the DVD to boot my laptop, and after I was done, if I reboot it all the changes/modifications were gone and it was all "new and clean" again on each boot.

So I was thinking, if it was possible to make a USB (or if not a DVD instead..) of a windows 8 (or if not win7) add it some extra apps like antivirus office and stuff..

And then use it to boot each time he uses the computer, and everytime he shut's down the computer all the changes were gone..

The OS would be in the USB/DVD and the computer's hd would be used as storage for files like a usb pen drive.

So no matter what he does or all the damage he makes, when he uses the computer, each time in the next boot it will be all "new and clean" again.

How can I make such a "thing" ?

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. maximus.pt

maximus.pt MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2013
    So I'm not sure if I understood but with the first option I can just make a partition on the computer hd, and it will remain unchangable even from bootkits and stuff?
    And each time the pc reboot's it would go back to that "new and clean" state ?

and would it still be possible to use the rest of the hd free space to storage files that would be saved for the next reboot ?

4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. maximus.pt

maximus.pt MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2013
    well the thing is that is not only him who doesn't has the "fingers" for computers..

correct me if I'm wrong but deep freeze is easily bypassed by a lot of malware.. so I would go for that option just as last resource.

the persistent live usb (is this the correct name?) would be the best choice

it would remain the same for ever.. i would just have to make a new one each time i would want to update the os, but for malware and bad-use it would be the best option
    I just don't know how to make it..

6. 3bqruk

3bqruk MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2010
    You could also use something like winbubbles or similar windows tweaker to prevent lots of system/file/internet changes or setup virtual pc environment.

7. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    Windows Embedded has this kind of features with EWF or editable with FBWF.
    WES8 has UWF

you can research for this but I guess the coasts/complexebility is way to much for just one scenario.

8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
  9. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    First of all, I think that a somehow redeploy of a backupsystem doesn't change that your brother has to surf less on "dirty" sites. If he realy manages to trash a win7 (or win8) in a month he is a real mastermind in trashing systems. Or you have done a poorly job of installing and SECURING (ALL updates, antivir, don't let him be a administrator in any way, disalowing programm-installs, browse not with IE etc) the system. There are only 4 things you can do and also have to do are: educate, educate, educate and if education doesn't help, charge him 50 bucks for every install you have to do. His future bos, which hasn't to plan for a PC downtime once a month, will thank you for your education efforts on how to use a computer the right way.

10. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
  11. franz99

franz99 MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2011
    #13 franz99, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    Windows To Go is a good idea because after booting the USB 3.0 stick on a computer little brother will not have access to the internal disks of that computer.
    The only way to eventualy transport data to these internal disks would be to pass them to a third party USB stick and then use that stick when the computer is booted on his internal Windows

One question is the price of such a USB stick able to run properly Windows To Go

But an other question is:
    - how to activate the Win-To-Go USB stick with a "normal" Windows 8 licence ?
    - and eventually how to keep this activation if you roam to an other computer

With no activation yo will have to rebuild the USB stick at least let's say every 3 months
    But you will have to rebuild it anyway every time it gets badly infected !

12. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Make a VHD and boot to it. The data (movies, mp3s) can be on physical drives that the VHD can see. If he buggers up the vhd, simply recopy a backup in its place. Just back it up after you tweak it how he wants it.

13. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
  14. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    Took a first look. Unfortunatly he has absolutly no idea how to script in batch... :wassat: