need help in windows 7 deployment

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by red1991dragon, Mar 17, 2014.

1. red1991dragon

red1991dragon MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2013
    Hi every body

i work in a pc shop and many customers come to format and re install windows

but the time that i spend to install the windows and reinstall every programm ( cd, winrar,office, firefox, Norton ... ) takes alot of time and i should be near to click on every " next " button. its around 2~4 hours depending on the CPU ram and HDD and other thing you allready know guys

what i need is away to deploy a windows image that contains all the apps that all the users need and most have , and works on almost every pc/laptop without the need of me to click next next next :mad:

i already tried the MS way
    "Building a Standard Image of Windows 7"

but things didn't work out
    the usb only boots on the same pc that i took the image from

please help

2. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    What you need to do is make a default install of windows which you use in order to silently install these programs. This will make it so that you can install the programs automatically. What your looking to do starts with $OEM$ inserted into the sources directory of the windows 7 iso. You need some rudimentary scripts skills however.

3. red1991dragon

red1991dragon MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2013
    so you are saying using imagex does not work ?

4. red1991dragon

red1991dragon MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2013
    to clarify more
    the same windows and same apps BUT in different laptops \ different brands

5. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    You could look at something like Acronis's univeral restore which is supposed to let you restore an image on different hardware than it was created on... I have no experience with this though and can't attest to it's ability to do what it claims... Since Windows creates certain hardware configuration/identifier type of stuff in the registry when it's installed I don't see how Acronis can make it universal .. but hey, that's what they claim..

There are other products that claim to do this as well, I just know of Acronis off the top of my head...

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  7. mackrack5

mackrack5 MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    You Can Use Oracle VM Virtual Box for this Purpose .Install windows in VM.Go to Audit Mode.
    Install all required Software.Install all Updates.
    Sysprep with generalize mode.
    and then with the help of Acronis True image capture Sysprepared Generalized Image .
    But for drivers integration you have to make special image where there are drivers integrated.

8. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    In my shop I install the latest media refresh version and run Windows Update; the rest is up to the user. If they want a customized installation, that costs extra and I'm glad to help them out if that's what they want to buy. Business is business.

9. razRA

razRA MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2012
  10. red1991dragon

red1991dragon MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2013

@jellybelly
    i will try and give you feed back

11. red1991dragon

red1991dragon MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2013

@urie
    i dont care about activations nor drivers i use loader and Driverpack for this and it works like a charm :worthy: (thank god )
    my problem is customers aka "users" wants everything already set so they can just use it :mad:. they want MS office , media player , internet browses, etc .. all set and ready !
    :waycon1::waycon1:

12. red1991dragon

red1991dragon MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2013
    @mackrack5
    already tried Vbox but without Acronis ... wont boot at all
    maybe i should try Acronis

13. red1991dragon

red1991dragon MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2013
    @PhaseDoubt
    I make them pay me to do what the dont want to / know how to do ... so i wanna make my life easier by a couple of click to finsh installing windows and the main apps
    btw what do you mean by media refresh ?

14. red1991dragon

red1991dragon MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2013

@razRA
    thanks but it does not support the apps I need

15. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    The problem you will have is Office editions & product keys. You could do the Windows installation, use SysPrep, boot a WDS capture image then deploy that using WDS to all other computers. But you want each computer to use the customers own version of Office (correct edition, collect product key). I hope your not thinking you can deploy one with a "pirate" key or "activation hack" - as a customer I would be very disappointed if I paid a shop and that's what they did. Fine if your a home user but doing it from a PC shop could turn out to be a risky and costly mistake.

16. red1991dragon

red1991dragon MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2013
    here in Saudi Arabia they don't give a s**t ! if its cheaper they take it even if its one dollar less ... so if you asked them "do you want the original Win they ask about the price first .. and if i tell them it coast them 100 $ ... the answer like " DAMN ! the other store sell it in 15 $ with the programs ! "

what i do is I take the serial key on the back of the laptop and use it ( in most laptops )

im not here to discuss about piracy .. i only want to install trial versions of ms office and using freeware like k-lite and other stuff

17. red1991dragon

red1991dragon MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2013
    come on guys !
    OEM do it every day how come you dont ?

pre-installed apps thats all I need

18. mackrack5

mackrack5 MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    If you are familiar with Virtual Box
    Create VHD in Windows 7 Disk management.
    Use this VHD in Virtual Box to install Windows 7.Lets call it Master Image.
    Install what you require.
    After Generalize sysprep shutdown VBox.
    Then mount this VHD through Disk Management in read only mode
    After mounting capture image with imagex or Simple GUI based Software Gimagex.
    So now you have master install.wim irrespective of Hardware .
    Now How to Deploy this image.
    You can create bootable WinPe Ext HDD with Windows AIK.
    (I Create 2 GB first Active partition For this Purpose of My 500 GB Ext HDD.)
    You can Copy gimagex software on this Boot partition so it can available in Win Pe Boot Environment also.
    Or you can use imagex to deploy this image.
    And last Copy captured wim image to Ext HDD.
    Now boot from This Ext HDD ,
    Format your new System's HDD as per your required Partition size.(use diskpart for this purpose,Be Carefull otherwise EXT HDD will formated,)
    Deploy Master image to first Partition Of New HDD.
    Restart.
    (Keep in mind After restart never shutdown machine in Between till you get USER Name Prompt.Otherwise redeploy image)

:rolleyes:

19. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    The OEMs are partnered with Microsoft and as such they get what you might call "special" privileges the run-of-the-mill installer doesn't get.