Need Help: My Speakers Give a Muffled Sound

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Laura_44, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Laura_44

Laura_44 MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2021
  2. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    You may be able to get some answers in this thread, @MoKiChU posts there with latest drivers, specifically ASUS
    he will most likely point you in the right direction if given all information regarding motherboard being used
    also you will find useful information about completely cleaning out all remnants of previous driver, prior to re-installing

Good luck

3. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Typically a problem that persists across 2 different PCs isn't going to have anything to do with either PC.

You could try snappy driver to see if there is a newer driver with potential fixes included, but that is unlikely to help.

4. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Perhaps a cat is sitting in front of them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    First of what's the model of the asus and what version of windows 10 are running could be a windows issue?

6. verndog

verndog MDL Member

May 3, 2010
    Install Linux/BSD and see if the issue goes away. Then you know its driver issues.

7. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    ... seriously guys, @Laura_44, ... noobe.. posted question (1st post [and only]), suggestions provided.. no likes. no thanks, no response... why are you still commenting?

8. scandal1981

scandal1981 MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2017
    I'm having the problem with a MSI A68HM-E33 V2 (MS-7721) mobo and a Realtek ALC 887 onboard sound card, if I use Windows drivers without updating all good, if I update any drivers
    it begins to act funny, distorted sound, skipping sound and all that

9. Laura_44

Laura_44 MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2021
  10. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    #11 drew84, Mar 7, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Note: Download Snappy Driver ORIGIN... not snappy driver
    As good as it is.. I would be very careful when using it, as it will mess up your system if you don't know what you are doing (with me it was Trial and Error)

.. examples, I don't use it to update my USB drivers (USBs stop working if I do), AMD Raid drivers (AMD recommends using MS drivers)
    and I certainly don't use it to update my Realtek drivers as they are hardware (HDA) based (preference), unlike the UAD driver suggested by MoKiChU above (app based)
    if I use SDiO updated drivers my audio Software loses a lot of its functionality

Glossary ---------- HDA = High Definition Audio
    HDA (Realtek) = Standard (NVIDIA) = Legacy (Microsoft & Intel)

UAD = Universal Audio Driver
    UAD (Realtek) = DCH (NVIDIA & Intel now) = DCHU (Microsoft) = UWD (Microsoft & Intel before)

DCH/DCHU = Declarative Componentized Hardware Support Apps Universal API compliance

UWD = Universal Windows Driver

HDA drivers ------ Supported on (Both) old & new machines that have onboard Realtek HD audio devices
    Use Win32/Legacy apps (including Realtek HD Audio Manager) Have a tray icon (with the option/possibility to disable it)

Note:
    There are many FFxx HDA (nonUAD) Realtek HD Audio driver releases and the latest versions
    usually come only in FF00 HDA form and not in other FFxx editions.

UAD drivers ------ Supports Realtek HD audio devices found on at least Intel Kaby Lake (7th gen Intel core),
    AMD Ryzen or newer CPUs
    Are only for Windows 10 64 bit 1709/RS3/16299.x or more recent (1903/19H1/18362.x + for some Third Party drivers)
    Do not have a tray icon (with no option/possibility to enable it)
    Use UWP apps downloaded from Microsoft Store (including Realtek Audio Control/Console)

In the main the following applies to HDA drivers
    Each FFxx desigination provides different functionality (Check your Original driver for designation)

FF00 - generic - no special integration -

FF01 - generic + Fortemedia APO or FMAPO integration,

FF03 - generic + Nahimic 1.x/2.x APO integration,

FF04 - generic + Conexant APO integration,

FF06 - generic + Waves Maxxaudio APO integration,

FF10 - generic + Creative MB APO integration, (considered discontinued)

FF0C - generic + DTS / Intel SST APO integration, (in danger of being discontinued)
    ... above, accurate to the best of my knowledge

11. Laura_44

Laura_44 MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2021

Ugh, extremely late reply but due to traveling I'm forced to stay in a hotel with extremely limited WIFI. Just today I was able to properly login. Anyways...

Okay, so, I've tried updating the two above methods by updating the driver and I've tried your method @MoKiChU but with no avail. However, thanks to you Mokichu, I was able to discover I have DTS:X Ultra and use it to enhance my volume, which it really did! (I had no idea it exists). Although the quality of the sound is better, I can still tell it's off. It's most apparent when I hear the default Windows asterisk sound (I'd press CTRL+F and type something like "adjiwjijsij" repeatedly to hear the sound) it just doesn't sound as full/clear as it could be and the same goes for any sound, really.

Thanks for all the trouble, I've gotten a better sound quality, but I know it still can be better.... so any ideas from anyone? I'll try my best to respond on time now that I have some form of stable internet.