[Need help] RAW file to NTFS... comp change files i don't know why

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by christian666, Jul 18, 2014.

1. christian666

christian666 MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Hi there,

if you r reading this means you might be able to help me. thank you

my comp was running normally.... then one day nothing...
    everything is fine no problem with cpu, ram...
    but the hd

i was able to remove the hd and see whats wrong.

i notice the section within the hd where all my files r located are in RAW but they need to be in NTFS....

How can I go changing the RAW to NTFS without losing my data?

thank you,for your help

2. sunilk

sunilk MDL Member

May 15, 2014
    use any data recovery software's to read it and recovery it ( like EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard 5.8.0 ), if you have data in c: drive better remove it and connect it in another system to negate any overwriting it.

3. sallybeal

sallybeal MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2014
    #3 sallybeal, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    "i notice the section within the hd where all my files r located are in RAW but they need to be in NTFS...."

Need more information where the RAW files are located. Windows save data in My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, or Downloads Folders by default. Are your RAW files in one or all of those default folders? Is your whole (C) Drive in RAW? If you keep your data in a separate partition or internal/external drive (not in C: Drive default folders), did these partition/internal/external drives go RAW? In other words, is your (C) Drive intact but your data partition/drive is RAW?

I went through the same thing not long ago and I was able to recover over 99 % of my 2 TB data which I collected over many years for my research projects. I can live with the less than 1% loss of data.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT format the RAW files/partition/drive in any circumstances. Windows will ask you if you want to do that. Refrain from formatting it. Once you format the RAW, your chances of recovering your data intact become extremely low except going through commercial/forensic recovery which can cost you may be thousands of dollars.

4. christian666

Feb 24, 2010
    thanx for your advise.

what happen was the my c drive on my laptop converted all my files to raw , and by files i really mean is the partition which everything is safe on.

I was using easus to recover data but no luck so far.

But the good things is that I did back all my important stuff into the cloud, so I'm okay some what, but sad that i couldnt get anything back.

So what im doing now is re format the whole drive as nfts so i can install my os back.

but now its seems when i try to install w7 it would prompt a windows saying it needs some drivers...???

now on a different note....

I will try tonight again to recover data from the formatted hd.

as far as i know doesnt formatting just changes the instruction of the hd, of which format it has. but if i dont write anything on the hd, technically the data should still be there.?

i just need to some luck and be able to get it back?

5. christian666

Feb 24, 2010
    i gave up just formatted the hd and install os w7

6. DinahMon0

DinahMon0 MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2015
    Honestly, after experiencing similar external hard disk data loss troubles several times, I do know the drive data is often not really missing or lost even when you are asked to format due to RAW file system(read more here: icare-recovery.com/raw-drive.html ) error. In order to take everything back, merely end using this drive to lose more data and start external drive RAW file system recovery software which can often take all possible stuffs back within several clicks.
    Go search and run one to scan your hard disk.
    Also learn to make drive data backups well to avoid unexpected data loss troubles from now on.