Need help to rebuild a Dell Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by some111, Feb 14, 2009.

1. some111

some111 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2007
    Hi friends,
    I need help to rebuild an old laptop with XP-Pro os. I got this old laptop (Dell Latitude D600) from a friend, and it lost all the disc that came with it including the xp-pro recovery disc. I would like to rebuild the whole thing by formating the whole harddisk. After formating the HD, I tried to install a DELL xp os disc downloaded from torrrent but it's no go because it failed to install lots of files from the disc at the files copying stage.
    Appearently, it's something to do with the disc or some kind of DELL cert.
    Can I get some help/ideas/recommendation to fix this so that I can install XP-pro on it?

Thanks in advance!

2. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    Download a XP pro retail cd that works, then replace oembios.* and setupp.ini file from the Dell CD you download and reinstall.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. some111

some111 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2007
    fixed

Hi thanks a lot for the help,
    Its working now. I figured the original bios already loaded with Dell's info, and all was needed was a copy of Dell's XP. It didn't work the first time becuz I loaded another retailed copy of XP in the first place, and then I just installed a Dell's copy of top of it. That was the mistake.
    I corrected this by formating the whole HD and install a fresh copy of the Dell's XP and everything went straight forward, and it's preactivated as a new machine.
    Thanks again!

4. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    Thanks to you for feedback.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...