Need help: Video card and system bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by overdozt, Aug 22, 2010.

1. overdozt

overdozt MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2010
    Hello. I took my notebook from service since my video card (8600m gs) had died. They did replace the old card with a different model (8400m g). My video bios in integrated in system bios (it's phoenix bios). I foolishly flashed my system BIOS and now my video card does not work and I get a black screen. Operating system boots up only problem is the video card.

I am trying to get it work. I opened my system bios with phoenix bios editor and managed to find the video bios. I found the Acer vbios of my new video card from internet. I am able to edit the system bios and replace the old card's bios with the new one. My notebook is Packard Bell and the downloaded video bios is Acer. So my question is: Does my video card work if I flash my bios with the edited bios file? I do not want to f*** up further.

Thanks in advance.

2. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    You should really upload your files so guy's with experience with ROM files can have a look. I suspect that the PCI ID's need to match your hardware though.

3. overdozt

overdozt MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2010
    Thanks for the response, tqhoang. I found the bios of a Packard Bell which has a 8400M G. Then I replaced my video bios of mine with its. I blind flashed and now it works.

Now I have another question. I want to upgrade my video card with ATI Mobility HD 3650. Does it work if I install an ATI card? I am not sure it will work since my installed video card has no bios on it. I have my video bios integrated in Phoenix bios.

Here is my bios: www[dot]mediafire[dot]com/?7j55idfbrcpxkwz
    You may use Phoenix Bios Editor 2.2 to see its contents.

4. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
  5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    One does NOT replace graphics card in laptops, plain & simple

With the problems you had you should know why that is

sebus

6. overdozt

overdozt MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2010
    Why not? As I said I did once.

7. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    It basically depends on the laptop whether the video card is soldered on or pluggable.

Since yours has a pluggable video card, the trick would be finding an ATI card with the same connector. Once you do that, you just need to get past the video BIOS part. I think most laptop video cards have the VBIOS integrated with the system BIOS...at least this is the case with Dell from what I have seen.

8. b166er

b166er MDL Junior Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Overdozt, did that laptop ever ship with a HD 3650?
    If not, the chances of the chassis design being able to support the extra thermal output (or physical dimensions) of the VGA card are slim and so it is very inadvisable to try.
    If so, then it's in the hands of the gods whether or not you can again incorporate the BIOS rom for the VGA card.

If you are not so bothered about the laptop, then it's fun for sure to try these things ;p